to loose band maybe
Old 05-19-2007, 07:29 PM
racevega
SHOW GUEST

adjusted band to spec
Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

The servo piston could be leaking pressure and not applying fully or in high gear it might not be releasing fully. In low gear, fluid is pushed against the servo to apply the band, but when you shift into high gear, the fluid applies the clutches but it also pushes on the inside of the servo to release the band.
You could have low fluid pressue due to internal leaks (sealing rings on front pump tower to clutch drum) or a weak front pump. I recommend the dual O ring servo and the Kevlar band. These items really helped the life of my powerglide.

Bill M
Old 05-19-2007, 07:52 PM
racevega
SHOW GUEST

it has a dual oring servo and the sealing rings on the pump are new and looked good when i took it out.rev and second work great
Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Make sure that there isn't a crack in the servo bore allowing it to leak or a problem with the tube from the valve body to the case. If the surface wasn't good on the clutch drum, it could cause it to not hold. I drill holes in the drum under the band to help lubricate it, sounds like yours might already have them.

You didn't state if it was a stock band or an aftermarket. I have heard that you don't want to clean the aftermarket ones in parts cleaner.

The other thing would be that the linkage arm hole matches the shifter being used. I changed from a B&M to a QuarterPro and had to buy the different lever, because I could never get it to pull in 1st correctly after lining it up for neutral.

One of the last things that I can think of would be a problem with the valve body. Some times the valve bodies don't use gaskets at all and they can cross leak. Make sure that if it has the gaskets that they are the correct ones and don't cover any holes in the plate. There are a couple of gaskets that don't cover all of the valve body, so there can be a leak with them.

Just some more thoughts.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 05-20-2007, 06:38 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

I had the problem sp2816 described also. Would work fine around the shop after repairing, but would toast it under a load.