Resurrecting an old race car - another step

Old 05-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Resurrecting an old race car - another step

Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day weekend. Nice to have few days off. Don't forget to thank a vet. I still remember what it was like to spend your holidays overseas, I'd trade places with those fellows, it's not a joyeous time for them. I was just fortunate that my time was spent when you weren't a target.

Spent a little time in the garage. Moved the car around a bit. Put in a 220 line so's I can bring my buddy's welder over. Pulled the old Ford 9 inch out from under the car. Removed the old ladder bars. She's sure not mobile now.

Next up, get to crawl under the old girl and put my sawsall to use. Cut off all the old brackets. Clean and grind everything off. The really fun part will be cutting all the old bracketry from the rear end. Luckily a buddy of mine has a fixture made up to cut the ends off the housing.

Was gonna call Alston Thursday and order the 4 link and all attendent parts but a domestic problem arose and it didn't get done, No way was I going to call the Friday before a 3 day weekend, LOL!!!

Get the chassis parts and a fuel cell. It's starting to come together. If I get the chassis done and the bodywork and paint before winter, that'll be a fair accomplishment.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:15 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default car

go robert go!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:29 AM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

Hey, Can you post some pic's???????
Old 05-26-2008, 03:33 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: car

Originally Posted by mikeaton
go robert go!!!!!!!
X2!

suicidebomb
Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default pictures

Originally Posted by sg1586
Hey, Can you post some pic's??????? :D
Well, lemmee tell you about that, LOL!! I've tried, and apparently I'm too inept at this. Zippy even sent me some info pertaining to another site, I posted pics on it and attempted to put them here. All that showed up was gobbleedegook.

I do have pictues posted on my profile on the RJ Racespace section. Trust me, "she ain't perty" right now. Like any project of this nature, you inevitably uncover a problem or three that weren't planned on nor anticipated. I've found more rust than I really like. On the other hand, this was an old car when I originally built it 30 years ago. At that time, all I wanted to do was race. In this transformation, I get to pay for neglecting past sins. Or better yet, like my buddy told me yesterday, "we needed a break but maybe it shouldn't have been 20 years?"

Once it all comes together, just hope I can afford fuel to get it to the track.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: pictures

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
Originally Posted by sg1586
Hey, Can you post some pic's???????

Once it all comes together, just hope I can afford fuel to get it to the track.
no kidding...pitiful. 399.9 yesterday
Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Parts

Ordered my 4 link and shock mounts, crossmembers and such from Alston this evening. Also ordered a fuel cell and mounting kit from Summitt.

Can't exactly say I'm back in the game but reckon I've crossed the committment line. Next step will be to have this stuff assembled and the car setting back on the ground capable of being mobile again.