Chinese look a like Little-M block

Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 AM
PBMPerformane
SHOW GUEST

My name is Dick Boyer I am the director of sales and marketing for PBM performance Parts. I just wanted to clear up a few miss leading posts regarding our new PBM iron block. We at PBM strive to provide the engine builder with good quality engine parts and at no time would we knowingly sell something that had an issue in any way. So with all the allegations posted on this site I thought it best if you heard it from the people most resposible. We sent 3 blocks out to an independent metallurgical lab today to have a BHN test performed on them we sent a Bow tie GM block a Dart little M block and our new PBM iron block all of the blocks tested above 187 the PBM block tested 195. I also had a PBM block cut into sections to determine wall thickness and am sending a section of this block to an independent metallurgical lab to have a BHN test a rockwell test as well as a chemical analysis to determine the propertiies of the iron the block is made of the lab says this is the most accurate method. We here at PBM do not take lightly any idea that we would sell something that has issues of any type. If you have questions about this or any PBM products feel free to email me at [email protected] or call the PBM technical line at 800-588-9608
Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by PBMPerformane
My name is Dick Boyer I am the director of sales and marketing for PBM performance Parts. I just wanted to clear up a few miss leading posts regarding our new PBM iron block. We at PBM strive to provide the engine builder with good quality engine parts and at no time would we knowingly sell something that had an issue in any way. So with all the allegations posted on this site I thought it best if you heard it from the people most resposible. We sent 3 blocks out to an independent metallurgical lab today to have a BHN test performed on them we sent a Bow tie GM block a Dart little M block and our new PBM iron block all of the blocks tested above 187 the PBM block tested 195. I also had a PBM block cut into sections to determine wall thickness and am sending a section of this block to an independent metallurgical lab to have a BHN test a rockwell test as well as a chemical analysis to determine the propertiies of the iron the block is made of the lab says this is the most accurate method. We here at PBM do not take lightly any idea that we would sell something that has issues of any type. If you have questions about this or any PBM products feel free to email me at [email protected] or call the PBM technical line at 800-588-9608
Your sales rep already called me today and said they had it tested and it was certified at 195 on the brinell testing. Interesting

I have not seen one of your blocks yet and have nothing to go by as far as brinell testing and from the discription of your block and the one I have here they seem very similar other then the main studs and valley screen.

Only time will tell if it arrives.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I know a shop that has a brand new PBM block sitting there waiting to be used he said it looks top notch and will know soon enough if it is or isnt
Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Interesting thread
Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 PM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
I know a shop that has a brand new PBM block sitting there waiting to be used he said it looks top notch and will know soon enough if it is or isnt
Interesting as I have not seen a PBM block yet and the one I have there is no paper work no name no serial number but that one needs a ton of work just deburring the thing I guess I can call the block I have brand -X as I see they are all over EBAY and the internet for sale.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hink
Originally Posted by hammertime
Interesting as I have not seen a PBM block yet and the one I have there is no paper work no name no serial number but that one needs a ton of work just deburring the thing I guess I can call the block I have brand -X as I see they are all over EBAY and the internet for sale.
The shop that has them prob is one of the biggest PBM users out there, I asked him if he had read on the www about the soft blocks, he had not but said he was not worried as they (PBM) did a lot of research before sending them to anyone, and was not sure if the block tested was even a PBM. I assumed the one you had tested said PBM on it being you put their name on the bottom of the post, I am interested to hear the results when you do get one there.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Update on the block I have which came from my warehouse and this block we will call brand-X no name or paper work came with this block.

After measuring the mains which measured 2.6385 my centering rings are not going to work and the cam tunnel is 1.197 to 1.198 so my my adjustable fixture is not going to work in this block.

When I get time I will line hone the mains and make a plug for the cam tunnel.

I will get some pics and post later.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Update on the block I have which came from my warehouse and this block we will call brand-X no name or paper work came with this block.

After measuring the mains which measured 2.6385 my centering rings are not going to work and the cam tunnel is 1.197 to 1.198 so my my adjustable fixture is not going to work in this block.

So when you got this no-name block from your warehouse, did the shipping paper say "Generic Block" and have no part number, or was there a description on the paperwork?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC

So when you got this no-name block from your warehouse, did the shipping paper say "Generic Block" and have no part number, or was there a description on the paperwork?
Just said engine block
Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Some pics of the Brand-X block I have.

The rear seal area of the block has no bevel which is required for the seal to fit properly with no leaks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -