Question about torque converters...

Old 10-07-2007, 01:15 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by kwillymac
The 60' was 1.58. Pretty bad for this combo. That was launching off the foot brake at around 2,500. Just taking it easy.
Your 60' should be around the 1.49 mark.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:17 PM
kwillymac
JOURNEYMAN

http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00045et6.jpg
Old 10-07-2007, 01:19 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

The 60' was 1.58. Pretty bad for this combo. That was launching off the foot brake at around 2,500. Just taking it easy.

well that is part of your problem here.....if you get the car to leave hard and hook..lets get say 1.38 60 ft...this is 2/10th's quicker 60 ft.....which normaly means you will make another 3/10th's on the big end..meaning a full 1/2 second off your pass...now your looking at 10.20 1/4 mile passes..

i do not care who you are unless you got a super freaking power making rat monster for a motor..you gotta get the car out of the hole...

you never see any classes like 10.5, super street,PRO-STOCK. or any FAST weekend warrior just wanting to run fast as he can..running 1.60 60ft......no... you see anywhere from 0.9 thru 1.14.......you got to wake that pig up and kick her in the butt if you really want a good ET..

When is the last time you went to a PRO-STOCK, or a 10.5 practice round and watch them leave hard and kill it 1/2 track and still run a 5.30 et 1/8 or a 8.90 et 1/4 and coast thru the lights...thats what leaving hard will do for you..

i personally see nothing wrong here but the drivers foot...and to give proper infot the car is a little bit on the heavy side too...

theats the more reason the driver has got to bring it up to leaving harder..IF you want a better ET..

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT HAPPEN FOR YOU !

my opinion only of course

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 PM
kwillymac
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by bjuice

well that is part of your problem here.....if you get the car to leave hard and hook..lets get say 1.38 60 ft...this is 2/10th's quicker 60 ft.....which normaly means you will make another 3/10th's on the big end..meaning a full 1/2 second off your pass...now your looking at 10.20 1/4 mile passes..

i do not care who you are unless you got a super freaking power making rat monster for a motor..you gotta get the car out of the hole...

you never see any classes like 10.5, super street,PRO-STOCK. or any FAST weekend warrior just wanting to run fast as he can..running 1.60 60ft......no... you see anywhere from 0.9 thru 1.14.......you got to wake that pig up and kick her in the butt if you really want a good ET..

When is the last time you went to a PRO-STOCK, or a 10.5 practice round and watch them leave hard and kill it 1/2 track and still run a 5.30 et 1/8 or a 8.90 et 1/4 and coast thru the lights...thats what leaving hard will do for you..

i personally see nothing wrong here but the drivers foot...and to give proper infot the car is a little bit on the heavy side too...

theats the more reason the driver has got to bring it up to leaving harder..IF you want a better ET..

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT HAPPEN FOR YOU !

my opinion only of course

Brian
I understand the short time sucks... This is something that will be worked on. Couldn't use the tranny brake because it would spin. I guess I didn't think the MPH matched the rpm,gear, and tire size. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:29 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

kwillymac I did run the numbers on your MPH but like Brian said in his post you got to go all out from point A to point B under your full power because you don't have enough motor to make up the diffrence in your MPH. You can see that in my time down below. I think if you hit it hard and she sticks you will see the 4 to 7 MPH that you are missing now.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:43 PM
kwillymac
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by woodsman
kwillymac I did run the numbers on your MPH but like Brian said in his post you got to go all out from point A to point B under your full power because you don't have enough motor to make up the diffrence in your MPH. You can see that in my time down below. I think if you hit it hard and she sticks you will see the 4 to 7 MPH that you are missing now.
I think I may have made a misleading post. The 1.58 was hooked up to the floor. It may have left at 2,500 foot braking but it was all out. It ran 10.70 three passes in a row. The last one was 125 mph.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:58 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

OK I am stumped but going to stick with your set up sounds to me 100%. 60' time of 1.58 with car weight of 3610lb and stall of only 2500. I have to say that you are in the ball park on this set up. But if its not right I hope you find the problem and let us know what it was. Keep it safe.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:07 PM
kwillymac
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by woodsman
OK I am stumped but going to stick with your set up sounds to me 100%. 60' time of 1.58 with car weight of 3610lb and stall of only 2500. I have to say that you are in the ball park on this set up. But if its not right I hope you find the problem and let us know what it was. Keep it safe.
Oh...ok I left at around 2,500. The converter is rated at 4,500 rpm.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:11 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

you need to be leaving anywhere from 3500 rpm up to 4500 rpm with that 540ci...the converter you possibly have may not be the converter for that motor..it depends on where it flashes etc...?...but leaving at 2500 rpm will not get the job done anyday..wheather its the car or driver....

i am not just saying this but you would be surprised at even the people on this forum that has not even come close to running in the 1.20 or 1.30 60ft range..you gotta have everything right...and if you have never been there its subject to scare the dokkie right out cha britches..NO JOKE...
EXAMPLE; i sold my 63 bug with the 406 to a local that has really never drag raced..he would take the car to local crusie inn's and haze the tires..and had a great time...i TOLD HIM.." I SAID" Buddy ( his real name) you ever take that car to the track your gonna see another side to this car"...it was my bug for 3 yrs and i ran consistant 1.29/ 1.30 60 fts..5.88/5.90 et 1/8 mile passes NO nos...
Anyhow he took it to the track one Friday night...left one time on the tranbrake..the car hooked and he LIFTED completely off the gas..his head looked like one of those little bobbing dogs in the rear seat of your car..he was on and off the gas all the way down the track.....he got back to the pitt's and never got back in the car..as a matter of fact i bought it back...

not to get off off the beatin path but i want to say this anyhow...'ANYONE CAN RUN 120 MPH"...JUST TRY DOING IT FROM A DEAD STOP THRU THE 330 FT MARK !!!!!

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-08-2007, 09:02 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Guy's do you think he may be reving it a bit high? That motor may make peak HP and torque closer to the 6200 - 6500 RPM range not 7000. I'm not a BB guy so I'm not sure. What do you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -