solid lifters to hydraulic

Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Valve spring pressure has just as much, if not more to do with stud flex as RPM.

If you're talking about running 130 Lbs of seat pressure, sure, you don't need a girdle.

If you're above and beyond that, a girdle is the only way to fly (unless you're using shaft rockers of course).

With just a mild solid tappet (non-roller) camshaft back in the early 90s, we started bending pushrods. We didn't have any clue as to why. The blower motor was being shifted at 6800 (a street car as well). We were recommended to put on a stud girdle (I think we were running about 160-170 lbs of seat pressure) and as such, did.

The bending of push rods stopped. After some more research in talking to guys faster than I, it was discovered that harmonics were causing the push rods to flex, and then bend.

Again, if you're not going to run shaft rockers, and this isn't a very close to stock motor, it's in your best interest to run a girdle.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:24 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

We just got 2 custom ground Comp billet hyd. roller cams, for a marine application, Pro-Charged 548's, the magnumn hyd. roller lifters, that do not seem to pump up, and will pull 7000 rpm, with the right combo of pieces, but, comp said, without even asking, they brought it up, and, if you ever wanted, you could even run solid rollers on these cams, and it would TOTALY change the dynamics, the cam would actualy be much more radical, as in aggressive. I know one other guy, that runs solid rollers on a hyd roller, and, it works, but, I wouldn;t do it,

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com