THrottle stopping a super gas engine way back?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
ogles824
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default THrottle stopping a super gas engine way back?

This is just an idea I've been kicking around of two, to start my son out in drag racing. We are looking at buying a 1st gen Camaro Super Gas car to run N/E and eventually Super Pro and Super Gas. He will be 16 when he starts and has never been behind the wheel of a drag car so I need to start him out sloooooowwwww. My first idea was to by and old smog headed oval port 454 with a descent cam, intake and carb or do the same with a 350 small block and let him run it all out. The other idea I had was to go ahead and buy a motor capable of running S/G and just throttle stop it to somewhere below 5 grand and feed him the rest of the power slowly. What do you guys think?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 AM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

When I first started driving my dads car going on 10 years ago, what we did was set up the inline air throttle stop to a little less than 1/2 throttle.

I foot braked it a couple passes then ran it on the brake with limited throttle for a while then went to throttle stopping it to half track and letting it rip, then all out. It ran 8.20's in the 1/8 at first then 7.50's at 110 mph, and then all out I ran 5.95 @ 115...

This worked for me, but I had already had years of experience racing Junior Dragsters and had already drove alot on the street, we live in the country.

The main thing my dad told me is "Respect its power" If it does anything silly let off and put it in neutral.

I hope this is helpful advice it worked for me, now I have about 2500 passes under my belt and a wealth of experience to draw on.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:18 PM
ogles824
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Thanks, he raced karts on dirt for a few years so he has a grasp at how to gather one up if it gets a little crazy. We live in the country too so he gets to drive some as well. I e-mailed Johnny at Reher - Morrison this morning and posed the same question. He said basically the same thing you said. He also recomended hard stopping it as well which I assume means putting an allthread style adjustable stop on it. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 AM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

You can also disconnect the back set of butterflys on the ol' carbie.