Advice on possible Chevelle trade!! Help!!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default Advice on possible Chevelle trade!! Help!!

Gents... help me on this important decision!!

Racing season is about done here & I never made it to the track this year. I bought this car wanting something more wild, but did not think about how hard it would be to sell later. My car is a 69 Camaro X44 car that is really far more of a race car than a driver. It is kinda streetable, but has slicks, & "sp" plates for cruises & such. 6pt cage, no back seat, no heater or wipers & a 6" cowl fiberglass hood. BBC/auto. I believe it is worth about 14K & is very presentable/good looking. It is for sale here locally @15k. Each time I show it, people love it, but it is too much of a race car for them... I currently have it on Craigs list in Eugene, Or.

Here is my dillemma: I showed it to guy today who wanted to make more of a pro touring car out of it & would be into it to it too deep to do so. BUT- he told me of a car he would "trade".... I got all emotional & worked up about. It is a 1968 Chevelle 327/factory 4spd matching number car that is all original except wheels, tires & exhaust. It needs some minor body & paint. It has 146K original miles, motor never rebuilt yet. SS Hood, but otherwise totally stock- no A/C car. She is a presentable driver in the current state. Interior is deluxe factory & is nice. This is a nice matching number car w/ good bloodlines. I do not hear of many w/327/4spd in matching numbers anymore. He purposed a straight-across trade. I am going to consider it for a week (I got too emotional today- I wanted it!!) I want a driver again & something I could put my kid's in the back seat, etc... my car is too wild & I need to get a car that is more mild. What do you all think??? how much is that Chevelle worth?? I could certainly turn it faster than my 69 Camaro... but I think my car is nicer overall. Help!! Scooter
Old 10-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Scoot, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you go to "team chevelle" forum. They have a "what's it worth" section and post pictures. As many pictures as you can get.That site is FULL of some very knowledgeable Chevelle guys. There are at least 2 or 3 guys there that restore chevelles for a living. You will get little to no help without pics,they don't like to guess.Add good pics and they will help you. Does the VIN start with 138 ?I THINK IT WAS 69 WHEN THE ss 396 STOPPED being a separate model(might be wrong) but until 69 a 138 vin meant SS

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60
Old 10-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Scoot-

Just got back from the Carlisle PA show, and I can say this. The 68-69 Chevelles were getting a lot of action. There is a black 68 priced at $23k with average paint that had people all over it all day.

I have had both and I would grab the 68 matching nos 4 speed car. At the very least, a wider audience, and probably an easier chance to sell if you ever have to.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Tod: Im not sure if it is a 138 car or not... I always thought that meant it was an SS... this is basicaly a stock 327/matching 4spd car that is pretty stock (it does have an SS hood). I will find out the vin to make sure the motor is a match (because that is important to me on this one). I will take you up on the Chevelle forum too. I have many pics of the car now, but they are on my e-mail & I am not good at how to do that yet. For some reason, it seems easier to find 69 Chevelles... like there are less 68's... not sure if this is true or not.

Scorp: What you said is what I am thinking too. I could paint this thing & do a few minor details & not only have an awesome car, but MY FAVORITE year of Chevelle too. It is not as nice as my Camaro, but MUCH easier to turn/sell when that time comes... I have a pro-street/drag car at best w/a limited market for sure.

I appreciate your feed back guys... keep them coming... my wife is sick of talking about it !! Lol!!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Rigs i'm probaly going to get jumped alover for this post, First i don't like either one of the cars, i grew up with Cameros, but they are the most popular cars on the planet except early Corvette's. The Chevelle will never be worth what the Camero is worth in the long run, matching #'s or not. :?: why don't you just pull the b/blk out of the Cmaero and put a crate motor in it, big tires no big deal, change to street radials, find a back seat and haul your kids to McDonalds, heaters are a dime a doz. and the other missing parts are easy too find. You already have a nice paint job no body work needed on the Camero.

O'K guys jump on me i have old tuff skin.

JMO

Zip.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

brother around here a 69 camaro in any shape will bring at least 10,000. and i mean bad shape.a 68 chevelle sbc, 4 speed in good shape ( looked at one about a week ago) body, good, interior good engine good, overall the car would be 7 out of 10 and it was selling for 8000. de tune the camaro like zip said and have a ball.if you still want a chevelle save a few bucks and buy a roller and work on it while you drive the camaro.man if i had the bucks id take the car off your hands in a heartbeat, and i dont really like camaros.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:56 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with zipp on detuning the car. if you like the chevelle buy it and have both. As with any sale you will never get what you have into it. for me....Im a chevelle guy....I want a frame under me!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:20 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Rigs i'm probaly going to get jumped alover for this post, First i don't like either one of the cars, i grew up with Cameros, but they are the most popular cars on the planet except early Corvette's. The Chevelle will never be worth what the Camero is worth in the long run, matching #'s or not. :?: why don't you just pull the b/blk out of the Cmaero and put a crate motor in it, big tires no big deal, change to street radials, find a back seat and haul your kids to McDonalds, heaters are a dime a doz. and the other missing parts are easy too find. You already have a nice paint job no body work needed on the Camero.

O'K guys jump on me i have old tuff skin.

JMO

Zip.
my thoughts exactley zip.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

I have a 72 Chevelle and I'd jump at the chance to own a 69 Camaro. The 69 is a stand alone car. The 67 & 68 are nearly identical. But the 69 is recognizable from the front and rear as a 69. It would be worth the effort to just make it over to the car you want.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:49 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

This is the sorriest excuse at flaming zipper, I've ever seen. :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -