Ultrasonic cleaning engine parts

Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Ultrasonic cleaning engine parts

Anyone have experience with cleaning engine and carburetor parts with an electric ultrasonic unit?

Harbor Freight sells a 2 liter unit for $80 dollars. I have seen it used for small carburetor parts with some success.

I would like to be able to use the process for cleaning parts including valves, pistons, rods, heads, cranks, heads, carburetor metering blocks and other carb parts, maybe even blocks.

Most of what I have seen are 240 volt single phase that are large enough to do a block. I assume this is because of the heaters needed to do a good job. I am looking for a 120 volt possibly. Maybe I could use a step up transformer to step a 120 circuit up to 240 volt?

I think this would be a great way to save time during an engine rebuild. Just don't know is the initial cost would ever pay off. There is a ad on Racing Junk now for a company in Ohio. Their 120 volt unit is $9000 that is big enough to do a head.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 AM
ajk
DYNO OPERATOR

Ultrasonic?.....Its unheard of.......
Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I .....have a SUPER sonic ULTRA in MY shop ! :P :P :P :P

Gotta cut it up some where guys, It's SPRING FEVER talking !

$ 9k, you gotta be makin' good dough from that to pay for it's self before it wears out .....