Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: ATK engines

Originally Posted by slowmotion
Originally Posted by tcarda
Originally Posted by slowmotion
Anybody ever used ATK engines?

I'm thinking about buying a 454 from them. I've been checking around and haven't found anybody that comes close to their prices.
With msd distributor, Weiand intake, plug wires, and Street Avenger carb, It's about $4000 shipped to my door.

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=HP40
What are you looking to put this in and what hp level are you looking to achieve? Also, do you plan on running 87 or 92 octane gas?
I'm going to put in in a '32 Bantam altered. I want to run slower than 9.50. That way I can run Pro or Super Pro or even double enter if I want. It would be nice to be right at 9.50 so that the other Pro cars have the chance to red light first.
Using http://www.golenengineservice.com/ht...rs.html#DRcalc
If it weighs 1900 lbs (we're not sure on that) 415 hp is 9.67. I know there are alot of variables to consider. Just using it as a guide.
As far as fuel, I want to run pump gas to save on buying racing fuel. So even 92 octane would be fine.

Look at it this way bub...

The motor you're looking at from ATK is most likely meant for a low RPM application, such as a truck motor or street car.

It's not going to be setup with the right tolerances to go racing.

Anything used out of it's designed criteria is bound to fail sooner than later. I think you would be better off, for reliability's sake, to spend a few bucks more and buy a better bullet for your car.

The heads on that motor, if they are indeed the ones pictured, are what are known as the "Peanut" port, because they're so damn small. Hell, you have to give them away to get rid of them... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=44862
Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
smallblockcuda
SHOW GUEST

used ATK as replacment engine in dodge minivan. 4 cly chrysler, waited 2 weeks longer than promised, 15000 miles into it lost all oil presure on the thing. When I contacted warrenty services they were rude. They required me to use a certified mechanic to verify no oil pressure. Warrenty claim went through and received replacement engine. 10000 miles into it and of course outside the 18 month unlimited mile warrenty which is calculated from the original purchase date, lost oil pressure at idle again. I cross my fingers every time I drive the thing. I will never purchase an ATK motor, either stock replacement or their performance line. I will never recomend anyone to purchase an engine from ATK
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
zerotolerance
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

i use atk engines here at my repair shop have installed several engines in the past year and havent seen anyone back with a problem. all good with us.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
gungho
EXPERT BUILDER

I ran an ATK 300 hp 350 in my 24' checkmate yrs ago,I will say it was the only engine I got more than a season out of after sevral "custom' built engines by variouss shops in my area,anyway thats my $00.02 I think they are good "stock' replacments.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:09 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Once again,
Thanks for the responses.