Whats your ideal car and day at the track, here is mine !

Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Wow Wabb... that is a bad one bud. You are a walking miracle. Never had anything that bad myself.... glad you walked away from that.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

i miss the old days so bad. i build cars today that reflect the times i grew up in. i try not to use anything that was invented after 74/75 because thats the time frame i try to build my cars from.though i do cheat some.like on ignition and ring material.i still run bias ply tires instead of radial on most of them.i just dont care about super fast anymore. id rather be damn fast and look cool while doing it!! lol
Old 05-05-2012, 02:02 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Ok I finally scanned these 5x7 pic's and got them on photobucket.

Let me refresh you on what happened.

The night I flipped the trucks I had to go to work.I went home after work and went to sleep. When I got up a friend of mine took me to the trucks and a bunch of friends I race with had already brought over almost enough parts to fix both.

Wreck happened on Saturday night. ( I worked 3rd shift as a (boiler operator at a saw mill) and was off on Monday and Tuesday.

[img]

Trailer went right first then you can see how it drug us off the left side of the road , back to the right and if you can see the mud (you can kinda see it in the second pic.) by the mail boxes (where the car is in the first pic) that's where we landed.
We were facing right into the driveway when we stopped! We were on all 4 tires BTW (red truck didn't flip we just spun out sideways when the trailer finaly broke loose then the truck and trailer flipped and landed on us)

This was on Monday night. As you can see we weren't playing around!
The truck was a Ranger which meant it had factory AC and nothing was wrong with the dash so we decided to cut the cab at the windshield and drill out all the rivets on the back of the cab and piece it together.
That's me in the truck taking a pic with the cab cut off. lol

Friend of mine we call Bullet. He was the one that moved the truck forward after I already had it where I always put it on the trailer. And it was his trailer it was on. We're working behind his shop.

This is probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Saturday two weeks later. This is also the same POS trailer I wrecked with. It bent and broke the hitch off is the only thing on it that got hurt!!

This is probably the 3rd weekend after

I was working 3rd shift at a saw mill and I also had a pretty good size grass cutting business in the day time. So instead of putting a regular bed on the truck I bought a utility bed from a junk yard for $250.I used the truck like this for a year or so then I fianlly bought a bed skin from JC Whitney for $199 and put it on the side.

This pic is several months later after I pulled the motor out to go bigger. lol and put 1 ton axles under the front and rear.
Notice trucks are primer in this pic.

Also notice the trailer. This was the first trailer I built.
I copied a friends trailer and it worked really good pulling a tall truck. And yes IT HAD BRAKES ON BOTH AXLES! Only mistake was using mobile home axles. I didn't know any better at the time.

This is probably rebuild #3 putting a new motor in. First motor I ever built and it was a BIG roller (I thought anyway) and I did not put any oil restrictors under the main bearings. Needless to say it filled the top of the motor with oil. So I just pulled the motor out, crank out, tapped the oil ports and put it back together.

Oh I almost forgot, (but don't have any pics.) We tied trucks to the railroad tracks and use some high lift jacks and a couple of porta powers to straighten the frames.

Now the worst part was both trucks were paid for so I droped the full coverage ins. on both of 'em. Just liability. STUPID!

BTW. When the Sate Patrol got there (we already had the road cleared) he asked who was driving the silver truck? Bullett (who worked on all the police cars and knew the patrol man very well) pointed to me. Then he asked who's driving the red and white truck? Bullett pointed to me again! Then he explained what happened. Officer asked if we were all ok. Nothing but my stuff wrecked so he never even asked who I was or made a police report. He stayed till the mess was cleaned up and left when we did.

The towing company was a friend of mine (remember I grew up in a real small town and everybody knows everybody) and he only charged me $65 to haul both truck about 60 miles to Bullet's shop.

This wreck tought me a lot about people. It was only by the help of good friends that I was able to fix both my trucks in just a few weeks
and without spending hardly any money to fix either of them.

Since nobody was hurt and the way it all worked out it was really a pretty cool experience in my life that I'll never forget.
My friends and I still talk about this quit often.

SORRY TO HI-JACK your thread BJ.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

GREAT STORY, RAB !
Old 05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

rabbitt, your a very lucky man. to hacve friends like that is something few of us ever get to experence. i would love to have friends like that. i have always showed up when there was work to do or someone just needed a hand. but when i need help i have top pay someone to come to the house to help.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Well, Ken, YOU know that you just do things cuz they need doin'. That alone makes you a better more caring individual than many, many folks. I'm wired the same way, I just get things done. If I actually ask for help I can get it, but for anyone to just show up and getting it done, nopers. I've become pretty much a one man show anymore. When I do stuff for folks, I feel darn good about it and that's all that matters.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Amen. It is about the experience & the friendships. The fact Wabb & his buddies did it all so fast is cool too. Good memories are created around calculated risks, hard work & our relationships some times. This is a great example of that. I love the pic in the dark with everyone helping out & the truck is stripped... a good days work. Those were good days I bet...
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Scooter, they were were the gold ole days of my life for sure and that was just about the end of that part of my life.
It was either racing or at the river every weekend.
I do miss it, but you can't go back.

Most all of us have gone separate ways and it happened not long after those pics.

I don't know what happened to people and friends. They sure don't stick together like they use too. Sad, but most of the time it has to do with females. It did in our group, but that another story.

I get along with my dog and my race truck a lot better than I do people anymore.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Boy do I ever hear THAT, Wab ! Been filing 'D' papers today and I got all cranked up over it. Grouchy old man I guess. I'm happier living in my Gearhead Motel and in my shop, now. Just me and my cars.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I hear you guys. That life sounds good & I remember that season well too. I could not have done a motor transplant in 1st Chevelle without all my buddies faithfully showing me how to bring that over-carbed, & over-cammed beast to life. Where are they now??? some are dead to be honest. Some happily married, some just flat disappeared I guess. Life is a big balancing act. I am happily married & have little ones (& a big great dane dog). Marriage & kids definitely leaves a lot less time for hot-rods... sleep deprived nights out in the garage after foot ball practice, dinner, homework... etc... the Chevelle does alot of sitting. I think about the days like Wabb shared, like DD talks about, etc.... it really sounds good to me. A race car, dog & some tools... maybe a little food & place to crash... not a bad deal. For me, I live it vicariously through you guys & in my occasional nocturnal nights. If I had to live alone personally & live that lifestyle, I would self-destruct however. There is a reason you guys can do it & I would not make it... we are all right where we should be right now. I can't see anyone taking racing away from DD or Wabb... it has to be on your own terms... a woman must accept that FIRST prior to getting all goggley-eyed & hearing wedding bells. I am sorry it did not work out Dennis. Wabb, people can totally suck... I will be going out to the woods this weekend with my son to GET AWAY FROM people... we need that. You & I both know that people let each other down... but GOD never does. Race & be well my bruthas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -