blown bbc ring and bearing question

Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM
taps
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default blown bbc ring and bearing question

i am about to assemble short block.4.5 bore 4.0 stroke dart block bbc.871 blown on race gas,i was going to use totalseal ts1 gaples rings and clevite h series bearings do you think this is a good choice or do you have other suggestions.also i believe the second ring is gapless what should i set the top ring end gap at?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Total seal makes a blower/nitrous ring set, might be a better choice than the TS1 set. H style bearing good choice, just make sure you put some clearance in them, I run .0025/.003 with steel tods and up to .0035 with alum rods, with 20/50 oil.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Total seal makes a blower/nitrous ring set, might be a better choice than the TS1 set. H style bearing good choice, just make sure you put some clearance in them, I run .0025/.003 with steel tods and up to .0035 with alum rods, with 20/50 oil.

JMO

Zip.
http://www.totalseal.com/TechPage.as...plessPistRings

Since you're running a standard bore size, if it's not a street car or very little street car use (10%) run a dykes top ring and standard second.

If the pistons are gas ported, you can get away with their AP set.

Personally, I wouldn't run a gapless set with a blower. You would be well advised to call Total Seal and talk to them about what you are doing. They have VERY good tech people that will help you pick the correct ring for your application.

And I concur with Zip on the rod clearances, plus I run .0035 on the mains.

Brad Penn, Valvoline ZR1, or Joe Gibbs oil only for blower motors. We gotta have the good stuff. Don't run synthetics when breaking the motor in.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Why do you say no the gapless ring, since they do have a gap they just over lap, or atleast mine do. my blown bbc alky, i took two sets of z gap rings and run them top and middle. Have not had any problems i that i know of?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
Why do you say no the gapless ring, since they do have a gap they just over lap, or atleast mine do. my blown bbc alky, i took two sets of z gap rings and run them top and middle. Have not had any problems i that i know of?
Total Seal advised me against it. :?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:24 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Any reasoning??? maybe the extreme heat and pressure keep the ring from being able to collapse a few when the cylinder gets tight being the ring overlaps??? It would make good sense..
Old 09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

No idea.

They and I both wanted to run a Dykes top ring, but unfortunately they didn't make one in my bore size 4.614.

So, the next best choice was to gas port the piston and run the AP rings.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 AM
ARUSSELL
MASTER BUILDER

I would say stay with a conventional 1/16 ring, hellfire top.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 PM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

from what i understand. gapless rings will "fludder". especially the middle ring due to pressure getting caught in between it and the top ring.