4 link

Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default 4 link

i've got 4 link suspension air shocks 41 willys outlaw body and frame friend said make bars parallel with ground and parallel with each other. would any one else have any ideas does this sound correct ? thanks zano
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

Most 4-link set-ups will have several diferent adjustment holes front and rear. You didn't state whether it will be a street cruiser or a drag race car. There is an excellent thread at the top of the section. Yes bottom bar near level to the ground is a good start, but there are to many other variables to consider ( pinion angle, instant center etc. ) to say both bars should be parallel.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

there are adjustment holes both ends of bottom bar, front of top bar i'm going to run street and strip but i don't under stand why this matters either way you want the best traction unless it takes away from something else. does it?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:21 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Zano- its a good thing to pass this topic back and forth and learn all you can about 4 links chassis set ups...realistically what your gonna learn by doing this is LINGO...

i can tell by your last two post you have no experience here..and thats OK..

My suggestion to you is get your car to someone that has experience with 4 link chassis set ups including front (toe-in) etc....

if they will let you hang around and watch..that will be great...

you are inquiring in something that takes a lot of experience to get it right !

toe in,caster,camber ( front end)
squaring the car,instant center,pinion angle,shock adjustment( rebound compression) etc (rear end).
then if you get this far ya gotta know how to read a car, what makes it pull right or left,whats causing it to chassis roll,whats causing it to blow the tires off,why is it wheel standing,why is chassis unloading....bad thing is that even if you know what is causing this ..ya gotta know what adjustments to make to fix it..

Yes sir
..this is some real technial stuff that i am afraid to say a forum discussion will not get you there..

Ed Wilson posted one of the best chassis set up post in the (chassis section) of this forum check it out....just be advised there is so much Good information The chances are great your gonna get lost in a SEA of all the right things to do..

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2363

Print Ed's article for future reference , then go seek you out someone who knows their stuff here...

i consider myself a decent all around car guy with chassis set up basic knowledge but still have the pro's set up my stuff initially..and tweek from there

My opinion Only
Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
Zano- its a good thing to pass this topic back and forth and learn all you can about 4 links chassis set ups...realistically what your gonna learn by doing this is LINGO...

i can tell by your last two post you have no experience here..and thats OK..

My suggestion to you is get your car to someone that has experience with 4 link chassis set ups including front (toe-in) etc....

if they will let you hang around and watch..that will be great...

you are inquiring in something that takes a lot of experience to get it right !

toe in,caster,camber ( front end)
squaring the car,instant center,pinion angle,shock adjustment( rebound compression) etc (rear end).
then if you get this far ya gotta know how to read a car, what makes it pull right or left,whats causing it to chassis roll,whats causing it to blow the tires off,why is it wheel standing,why is chassis unloading....bad thing is that even if you know what is causing this ..ya gotta know what adjustments to make to fix it..

Yes sir
..this is some real technial stuff that i am afraid to say a forum discussion will not get you there..

Ed Wilson posted one of the best chassis set up post in the (chassis section) of this forum check it out....just be advised there is so much Good information The chances are great your gonna get lost in a SEA of all the right things to do..

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2363

Print Ed's article for future reference , then go seek you out someone who knows their stuff here...

i consider myself a decent all around car guy with chassis set up basic knowledge but still have the pro's set up my stuff initially..and tweek from there

My opinion Only
Brian
I agree. I bought my car as a rolling chassis in 1996 when I was 22. The guy I got it from was about 50...it isn't a 4 link just ladder bars and coil overs..but it was still new to me. I crawled under the back and started asking questions and his only response was " DON'T F*** WITH IT IT WORKS!!" :? No matter what I asked he said the same thing...lol

I recomend buying the book "DOOR SLAMMERS" It won't make you a chassis expert by no means but it has all the info you need to start to UNDERSTAND the basics and the terminology but Brian hit the nail on the head you can open a very big can of worms and tear some stuff up too if you don't know what you're doing. The book will help but there is no substitution for experience.

jmo
Old 03-30-2008, 05:37 AM
BillyShope
CRAFTSMAN

Default Re: 4 link

Originally Posted by zano
i've got 4 link suspension air shocks 41 willys outlaw body and frame friend said make bars parallel with ground and parallel with each other. would any one else have any ideas does this sound correct ? thanks zano
This would yield excessive squat during launch. I would suggest that you read Pages 8 through 13 at my site:
Old 03-30-2008, 02:12 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BillyShope
This would yield excessive squat during launch. I would suggest that you read Pages 8 through 13 at my site:

WOW !!!...impressive...did some reading and printing myself...

thanks for sharing.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by BillyShope
Great site for some very valuable information. Thanks, I know I will printing off a bunch of information tonight.

Chris
Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 AM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

Is this car to be street driven? I have heard that the bars be paralell for street use
Dave Morgan told me that paralell bars will not make it darty on uneven roads. The upper bar being on an angle (racing) will go shorter when hitting a bump(rear end going up into the car) due to the arc the bar travels
If you hit a bump on one side of the car, that side goes up while the other side goes down, making the rear end point in a different direction than you are steering
I have no idea how much of an effect this has in reality, since I have not got my car out yet
take care
Tom
I think if you look at old street rods the bars are paralell
Old 04-02-2008, 05:20 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

actually you guys talked me into bringing the car to a chassis place. martz chassis is about an hour from me in bedford pa. i'm going to make an appointment for next week if they will take me.