diesel truck smokes (black) when pulling a hill

Old 06-13-2009, 06:15 AM
s55
SHOW GUEST

Default diesel truck smokes (black) when pulling a hill

what would cause a truck to smoke really bad when im going up a hill or just mashing the throttle to speed up? thats the only time it does it never smokes other than that. 6.5 turbo diesel injectors???? injector pump?????
thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

sounds like a typical diesel to me ?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:41 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Your computer is giving more diesel for more power. You might check to see if someone has put a different chip in. If so nothing wrong the computer is just giving you more fuel for more power. Within reason now, if your blocking traffic with your smoke you have a problem.....
Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

what year? my '94 was doing the same thing and replaced the wastegate valve. also check your vacume pump.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Check your egr. My work truck, a 07 6.0 already puked 2 egrs and one cooler along w/ a set of injectors and its smokeing again.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by gnsrule
Check your egr. My work truck, a 07 6.0 already puked 2 egrs and one cooler along w/ a set of injectors and its smokeing again.
If you have an egr cooler problem the smoke will be white and lots of it!!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:04 AM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: diesel truck smokes (black) when pulling a hill

Originally Posted by s55
what would cause a truck to smoke really bad when im going up a hill or just mashing the throttle to speed up? thats the only time it does it never smokes other than that. 6.5 turbo diesel injectors???? injector pump?????
thanks
Thats pretty typical for the 6.5. They smoke a lot and not a lot of power. Manufacturers didn't have to meet the strict requirements back then as they have in the past years.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:53 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

tcarda, thats where you're wrong on the smoking. my 94 smokes very little and thats when i haven't been running it down the hiway in a while. pulling a pretty long hill out of Ft. Pierre, it doesn't smoke at all and thats a 1 1/2 mile long hill. all the way to the floor. if it's a 94 or newer 6.5 turbo, it has a pmd to control the injection. keeps it from smoking. if the vacume pump isn't strong enough, the waste gate doesn't work right, also if the dashpot for the waste gate isn't working right, it either won't open all the way or it opens too soon. opening to soon will make it smoke really bad when you put it to the wood. but your right on the power, it doesn't have a lot of power, but if the load isn't too heavy,like mine, it will get better fuel mileage than the others from that era.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 PM
sm44
SHOW GUEST

how about this, air filter?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:27 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by sds10racer
tcarda, thats where you're wrong on the smoking. my 94 smokes very little and thats when i haven't been running it down the hiway in a while. pulling a pretty long hill out of Ft. Pierre, it doesn't smoke at all and thats a 1 1/2 mile long hill. all the way to the floor. if it's a 94 or newer 6.5 turbo, it has a pmd to control the injection. keeps it from smoking. if the vacume pump isn't strong enough, the waste gate doesn't work right, also if the dashpot for the waste gate isn't working right, it either won't open all the way or it opens too soon. opening to soon will make it smoke really bad when you put it to the wood. but your right on the power, it doesn't have a lot of power, but if the load isn't too heavy,like mine, it will get better fuel mileage than the others from that era.
X2 on the wastgate . make sure the vacume pump has 20+ inches.

I took the vacume lines off the boost senser loup them to gather BOOM no more black smoke 15 + on the boost. defueling up hills or tall bridges

if thay takes care of your black smoke put some springs to hold the wastgate closed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -