Dyno fudging the numbers??

Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 AM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Dyno fudging the numbers??

My engine builder is dyno'ing my new motor on a superflow dyno and im wondering can the dyno be used to create higher numbers in hp tq?.
How would i know if the numbers on the dyno werent manipulated to falsely achive the numbers??

thanks
In advance
Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Yes, they can, and yes, many do this very thing. Some engine assemblers that don't have their own dyno will purposely use a dyno facility that will "fudge" the numbers. This is more common place then most racers realize. My dyno guy took our best pull, and then showed me the way to do this. It's quite interesting.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default dyno

So did he happen to share with you what to look out for.?.. i worried im gonna get bogus inflated numbers
Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: dyno

Originally Posted by dynaguy03
So did he happen to share with you what to look out for.?.. i worried im gonna get bogus inflated numbers
bring us the #'s we will tell you if they are close or not ..

I've dyno'd a few motors, one was on a happy dyno the other not so happy. Both made same HP .. one is a full 2 tenths faster then other.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Hammer... trouble is i dont wanna pay him till he makes the honest number we agreed on- deal was last third to be paid upon making 600+ hp and over 550tq. on the dyno.. on this sbc.
I got screwed last round with a different guy (AR racing in Sumerduck Va) i dont wanna get another pc of - u- know what!!
Old 07-23-2008, 12:04 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

tell us what the motor is we will tell you if its going to make 600
Old 07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Why don't you pick the dyno?

Curtis
Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default MOTOR

Ok here it goes...

388 ci sbc 13-1 -,canfield heads extensive bowl ,port and runner work, 208-160 valves - super victor intake, plenum work, AED 850 carb, 1 in spacer, jesel shaft rockers, comp cams roller lifters, rockers,mech roller cam.. i dont have the cam card and everything is still at the builder, eagle rotating assembly J&E forged small dome pistons, ati super dampener, msd dist./wires, im thinking the cam is the key he only mensioned 640 in 630 ex.(not corrected) . dont know duration until i get the cam card- his claim is this simular combo at 358 ci made 622 hp - that particular motor is is a 3400lb all steei 69 camaro running 10.39 i have seen it run that number in the 90 plus degree heat all day on gas with a 750 AED.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Pdmracing
CRAFTSMAN

ALWAYS ask what the correctiuon factor is! I was dynoing my RR car befor & after every race, All @ the same dyno. well one day it was reading some great post race numbers, then the guy remebered he was dynoing some car club & jacked up the correction factor so they wouldnt bitch!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:44 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dynaguy03
Hammer... trouble is i dont wanna pay him till he makes the honest number we agreed on- deal was last third to be paid upon making 600+ hp and over 550tq. on the dyno.. on this sbc.
I got screwed last round with a different guy (AR racing in Sumerduck Va) i dont wanna get another pc of - u- know what!!

The one Big thing that has been missed here is the real purpose of a dyno and why it was created. Its purpose was to fine tune a motor NOT to find max HP and TQ...This day and time i understand this is why many people dyno motors but it was not the intended purpose of its design.

the HP and TQ readings are the reported Numbers where the engine is tuned at its maximum (optimal) performance.....its normally not the highest HP and TQ the engine could make

a perfect example of what i am saying here is that you can lean the $hit out of an engine and literally burn it down on the dyno and its gonna make more HP and TQ on the Dyno right before it becomes a 500lb ash tray.. .

so with that said you want to find MAX HP and TQ readings or have a properly tuned dynoed engine ? :roll:

My 2 cents..
Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -