pretty red header

Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

Default pretty red header

ok guys im about to give up here and do something ive rarely ever done .let someone else fiqure out this and pay them. got a strong built 383.11.1 compression, 520/520 cam. aluminum heads roller rockers.tunnelram, 2 600 edelbrock carbs.thing runs super strong. it suprised even me and i built it.this car has all the go fast goodies you can think of.mallory dist,i think its mallory. 6al box and alot more crap. heres the problem. i got a header than glows after about 4/ 5 min. after crank up.on the pass. side not both. ive checked timing and a few other things i cant remember right now. someone throw out some ideas for me. im totally lost here for some reason.if it were timing wouldnt both sides be a pretty red color not just one .could one side be running too lean. if so how would i check that out on these edelbrocks.i looked at the plugs they seem to look ok. HELP ME. im drowning here.damn i hate this damn brain damage.as many sbc ive built over the yrs i now got to look up the damn firing order every time i pull the wires.cant remember shi-!!!! help.lol
Old 12-16-2011, 04:40 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Might be not big deal actually

If your engine runs good down the track and the plugs appear ok then you likely have a over rich condition at idle, not a lean condition. Lean conditions appear hot on the plugs under full power not apparent at idle. If your header is hot at idle then you are likely rich and possibly late on timing a bit to boot. The late timing will allow more fuel to have to finish burning in the header. Rich mixtures burn longer looking for oxygen to finish burning often in the header.
Causes could be as simple as a blown or too high a number power valve. If you do not run one or them then a rich adjusted idle mixture screw or 4 will cause this too. Leaking in the idle circuit, high float level or leaking needle and seat are possibilities to check. The timing set too low at idle for your engine will enhance the header heat if an over rich condition exists at idle.
Food for thought
Bruce
Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

thanks bruce. i got in a heated discussion with my cousin over the lean/rich crap i was leaning toward rich lol he said it was runnin lean oh well i was right about the argument anyway. im going out today and see what i cabn find AGAIN.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:03 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Besides fuel mixture issues don't forget this one

One more thing that has caused header pipes to glow at low speed is an over scavenging exhaust system. This is most notable when tri y headers are used like some circle track engines do. Glowing pipes at idle is very common with these set ups or ones that scavenge in this manor. The over scavenging pulls much of the in coming intake charge into the exhaust. This happens during the valve overlap at low exhaust velocities, and this condition corrects itself when rpm and exhaust gasses speed up at higher rpm's. If you have a conventional 4 to one collector your are not likely to have this happen but if you have the 4 pipes merge into two then into one at the collector this issue is very common. Flowmaster made a gizmo that slips over the 4 primaries and merges them from 4 to 2 to one in about 24" that over scavenges at idle .
More food for thought
Bruce
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

well i went out check plugs again still cant find any thing wrong. check carb for rich nothing wrong there. im about ready to set this thing on fire. i did that once. still feel bad about that one.lol
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 AM
bluedawg357
CRAFTSMAN

I had my headers glow once, the timing was retarded to much, but in your case with just one side is weird. Is just one head pipe & collector glowing, or is it all 4 head pipes?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by outlaw256
well i went out check plugs again still cant find any thing wrong. check carb for rich nothing wrong there. im about ready to set this thing on fire. i did that once. still feel bad about that one.lol
do you have, can you borrow some other carbs to try? worst case, try a single 4bbl manifold and see what happens? process of elimination to find the culprit(s)!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM
BleedOrange
SHOW GUEST

Is there any possibility that the side that is glowing the exhaust may be restricted. Like a bent exhaust pipe underneath or maybe something got dropped in the exhaust pipe while you were installin the engine. It sounds kinda wierd to me but sounds like you have covered the basics so I figured I'd throw something off the wall at you.