40.00%
Big block
60.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Big block or Small block

Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

What no one has looked at here is torque values, given a 900HP b/blk and the same 900HP s/blk in a 3400lb car the b/blk will get to the finish line first in almost every case, because getting to the other end requires torque more than HP in a heavy car.
You can get 800 ft.lbs. torque form a 900HP b/blk where as a s/blk will struggle to get 700 ft.lbs..
You would have to spend $10,000.00 min. on parts alone to build 900hp with a s/blk and i believe a b/blk can be built for about $7,500.00 in parts. So the budget minded can go faster cheaper with a b/blk. but it sure is fun to outrun a b/blk (SOMETIMES) with a s/blk. I wouldn't mine having a b/blk but the only parts i have for one is a hilborn stacks injection unit and valve covers.

Zip.

PS> I still like s/blks
Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
camaro74454
JUNIOR BUILDER

Tommy, I'll let you know how it turns in a little while..so far the only thing that lets me know that it's a BB is the raw power....and the painful idle sound.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:12 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by woodsman
Brian I show to get 670hp @ the rear wheel on 10.00 ET w/ 136 mph in a 3400# 69 Camaro.

so with the good median of 20% loss of horspower thru the drive line/chassis..this is approx 840 hp at the fly wheel...

also Zipper is right on the TQ,,,this is why they pull so good etc......

ohhh yeah i will agree that i was a Die hard small block man for 37 yrs of my life...all i can say to people is get you a decent running BBC and if SPEED AND POWER is your thing...your gonna love it.....and never look back....if it happned to me...

Now guys we are talking about blower's turbo's etc....you guys realize now that Wes has a 572ci BBC with a blow thru Prochager...i am telling you now its going to be NO JOKE behind that wheel....
Wes intercool that bad boy and you gonna have GODZILLA ON STERIODS.

this has been fun.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-14-2007, 11:25 AM
tommynos
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
Brian I show to get 670hp @ the rear wheel on 10.00 ET w/ 136 mph in a 3400# 69 Camaro.

so with the good median of 20% loss of horspower thru the drive line/chassis..this is approx 840 hp at the fly wheel...

ohhh yeah i will agree that i was a Die hard small block man for 37 yrs of my life...all i can say to people is get you a decent running BBC and if SPEED AND POWER is your thing...your gonna love it.....and never look back....if it happned to me...

Now guys we are talking about blower's turbo's etc....you guys realize now that Wes has a 572ci BBC with a blow thru Prochager...i am telling you now its going to be NO JOKE behind that wheel....

this has been fun.

Brian
i think thats funny about going big block and not turning back as steve keech is local to me and he built that baldwin motion big block in the car that was on summit...i see him alot now as they are filming to do a show on tv(possibly)he was all small block,as long as i knew him and was known to build some wicked small blocks too,so now i see him and every car he owns is big block allmost,he has a nomad that was allways small block,not no more,,,,..it seems he did the same thing,when you mention small block he acts like he never had one that one pic of the small block with twins is actually one car he built,most all the rest are big blocks...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

Hey Zip I have a conventional headed big block that runs that in a 1950 pound dragster on gasoline 477 ci. I have another one in the car now that runs 4.78 at 145 in the 1/8th. THIN MAY BE IN BUT FAT IS WHERE IT'S AT.

Steve
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by 3dracing
Hey Zip I have a conventional headed big block that runs that in a 1950 pound dragster on gasoline 477 ci. I have another one in the car now that runs 4.78 at 145 in the 1/8th. THIN MAY BE IN BUT FAT IS WHERE IT'S AT.

Steve
We can't do it on gas, but, Jeffs dad died a couple yrs. age with a stomach anurisium and left him a 69 Cougar (434") and a dragster with a (434") this added to his already ugly dodge and a dragster. both cars will run 5.90's and the dragsters will run 4.90's on stacks injection and alcohol. Which is not as fast as a b/blk but still pretty good for s/blk's none of the engines has more than $10,000.00 in them and are 23* heads.

John A./aka/Zip.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by bjuice

this has been fun.

Brian

Brian I am just a small man so I think I am going to take the steriods before I face Godzilla to give me courage to put him in his place. The fastest that I have ever gone is a 5.24 1/8th and I am thinking if I can get Godzilla's power to the ground I am going to go a bit faster. I dont want to sound like a wimp but I think its going to take me awhile just to get back to 5.24 but I will get there.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:00 PM
ash
MASTER BUILDER

OK,.....Who wants to race against my inline 6 with a header and a wicked cam???????? :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :lol: The only thing that matters when you want to argue c.i. is.... does the engine(motor?) make YOU happy?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

let me tell you ...there is no whimps running anywhwere close to a 5.24 ET......as a matter of fact the line is Drawn at 6.50 et.......many people can run down to 6.50's with moderate funding and SO-SO know how with tunning Motor/chasiss.......but getting lower than 6.50 the stakes go up..the cost get higher and the tunning gets finer...

the 5.99 mark is the next toughest level to reach,you got to be on your 'A' game you gotta be coming out of the gate hard and your stuff better be putting out 98 to 100% of what it can do....

down to 5.50's and you have to be able to work on your own stuff and know how and why it works and you must stay on top of it..or have a great Pit man..also the cost is not for the average guy..

5.50's to 5.0's...you have spent a LOT OF MONEY,,YOUR STUFF IS TOP OF THE LINE AND YOU ARE ON TOP OF YOUR GAME DRIVING AND EQUIPMENT.

4.90's and below is another world..LARGE Money invloved..a-lot of luck combined with a lot of the above..and HUGE CO-CO NUTS...

Thats my take on it..

anyone else ?

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 PM
camaro74454
JUNIOR BUILDER

This is really the best feedback I've seen on this poll. There is a ton of info here, not just guys tossin around what they like. I just can't see the small blocks winning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -