Calico coated bearings

Old 05-24-2007, 03:51 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

Default Calico coated bearings

any fellow engine builders useing calico bearing? thinking about going over to them and would like some input thanks guys.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:52 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Are you talking about Calico coated bearings ?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

yes sr
Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i personally like them and used them in my Alcohol blown injected motor, the claim is the coating makes the bearing last longer,,calico makes 2 types of coating a teflon based coating and a dry film coating..of course the teflon holds up longer so they claim..i am not sure what they use the dry film stuff on...

however the main purpose of using them in the alcohol engine was to help protect the bearing from alcohol wash down.

they also claim that the coating's provide's a anti-friction which is great for tighter tolerances.
we have a company that uses the coating on anything you take to them..i also had a set of pistons done in my wifes 406...

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-24-2007, 04:11 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

brian have you taken your engine apart and looked at the crank to see if there is ware? i'm just wondering if the bearing don't wear then is the crank takeing the wear? thanks for posting
Old 05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

No i have not..i sold my blower motor..but it is still local..if it is tore down i will inspect it if it stays local..

later brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-24-2007, 05:02 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by slowman
brian have you taken your engine apart and looked at the crank to see if there is ware? i'm just wondering if the bearing don't wear then is the crank takeing the wear? thanks for posting
I dont think any bearing coating is hard enough to " transfer " the damage to the crankshaft. If a piece of grit gets in the system or anything else happens, detonation etc. I still think the bearing will get damaged first.

JMO of course