discs on rear drums on front will it work??

Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Hey guys,thanks for all the help so far.What I was wondering,was if it would work to run rear discs with front drums.I can get a rear disc setup easy and fairly cheap and go ahead and hit the track.If I redo the front(which I don't really have money for right now) I'll have to hold off for awhile .So,do ya'll think it will work okay,or be a handful to stop?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
gasalley
CRAFTSMAN

Default should work

I think it might work, if you use an adjustable proportioning valve and the right residual pressure valves ( 10 psi in front & 2 psi in rear ). Put the proportioning valve in the front line w/ the 10 psi valve, adjust propostioning valve so that disc start to brake before the drums. This works in street rods, but just in reverse. You can get it all from the Speedway website. There is a diagram in their catalog that might help, just do it backwards for your Olds.

Good Luck!!

8)
Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I forgot to mention that I am running 33x16x15 Goodyears out back.That is why I am concerned.I don't know if it will feel "mushy" with alot of braking force acting on that big of a tire.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

I dont think I would recomend that setup....most of the braking is done on the fronts and if you adjust the pop valve to keep the rears from locking up, it will take a little longer to stop the car....
I would suggest hold out a little longer for the fronts... or put discs on the front and use drums on the back for now....
Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I was afraid of that ,too.Choke down the rears to prevent locking up,might as well run drums.Probably will end up running all drums for now.Stopped okay like that before.I'm only hitting right at 100 mph in the 1/8.Track has a short shutdown though
Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
I was afraid of that ,too.Choke down the rears to prevent locking up,might as well run drums.Probably will end up running all drums for now.Stopped okay like that before.I'm only hitting right at 100 mph in the 1/8.Track has a short shutdown though
YOU CAN ALWAYS PUT YOUR FOOT OUT AND DRAG IT TO HELP STOP :lol: :lol: :lol: --FLINSTONE STYLE
Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

YAAAAAAAABA DABA DOOO :lol: :lol: wilma!!!! :evil:
Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 AM
gasalley
CRAFTSMAN

Default Re: should work

Originally Posted by gasalley
I think it might work, if you use an adjustable proportioning valve and the right residual pressure valves ( 10 psi in front & 2 psi in rear ). Put the proportioning valve in the front line w/ the 10 psi valve, adjust propostioning valve so that disc start to brake before the drums. This works in street rods, but just in reverse. You can get it all from the Speedway website. There is a diagram in their catalog that might help, just do it backwards for your Olds.

Good Luck!!

8)
just re-read what I wrote and I made a mistake. the front brakes need to come on first, so the proportioning valve needs to be in the rear line to keep the rear disc from coming on to soon.
SORRY!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I know what you meant :wink: