building a new garage

Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 AM
robsbird
JUNIOR BUILDER

:!: thanks for all the advice I will use it, the outside wall are at ground level in the back and one side. we stuccoed then put tar on the stucco and plastic over the tar. I have not done anything to the floor or inside. the building is and floor is not 2 mo. old. the floor is a little dirty. If I pressure wash and let it dry that should be ok don,t you think. also we put plastic down before pouring the concrete. :arrow: thanks rob
Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

You can go to my profile and look at my floor. I did it with UCOATIT. if you do epoxy DON'T Seal the new concrete floor, wait 30 days for floor to cure. Power wash it to clean with concrete cleaner Let dry then read instuctions on how to epoxy it. Me and the kids did mine in a weekend then parked on it after a week. Good Luck
Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 AM
robsbird
JUNIOR BUILDER

:!: o ya my dimentions are 32x42 12 high, the friend that dug out to the footer said you can never go big enough. but in my situation with my property this is about as large as I can go. I think I will put a storage room in the rafters. there 10-12 pitch and I can stand up easily. thanks rob
Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

yes-put storage above-----I HAVE A 12 BY 28 FOOT ROOM ABOVE MY GARAGE/ WITH A STAIRWAY OUTSIDE TO ACCESS IT --THE EXTRA STORAGE IS NICE
JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE STRONG ENOUGH FLOOR JOIST UP THERE TO HOLD MORE WEIGHT[I HAVE 2 BY 12 RAFTERS ON THE BOTTOM RUNS]
ALSO USE 2 X6 WALL STUDS AND INSULATE EVERYTHING VERY WELL[IT KEEP IT COOLER IN THE SUMMER AND WARMER IN THE WINTER

LIVELY
Old 02-05-2009, 06:13 AM
robsbird
JUNIOR BUILDER

:!: lively I said my pitch was 10-12 but its 6-12 and I called my truss builder and he said I could reinforce and make a nice room, with minimal weight. no heavy stuff in one spot. but I could spread it out equally and be safe around 700 lbs with a 20 x 9 area, and I can go more than 20 and may do it . rob
Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 AM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you decide to put down a epoxy floor, make sure you put styrofoam sheets down on top of the garage fill and then heavy mill plastic over that. If you don't, the moisture will migrate thru the cement and break the bond of epoxy to the concrete. A good friend had a house built and didn't do that and within 1 winter, big patches of the epoxy lifted. And it was applied by a professional installer. I don't know how this would apply to floors in other areas of the country, but that's what is recommened here in the Pittsburgh area by installers.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Had the chat of epoxy floors with some local racers this past summer, it seemed they all said to put down something under where tires are going to sit because eventually they will rip up the epoxy.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 PM
robsbird
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default question

:?: I have plastic down under the concrete but no styrofoam, won,t the plastic be enough!!!!rob