Liquidating 383 - Advice Needed

Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
jclow
SHOW GUEST

As I remember, I paid dearly for what was then a "state-of-the-art" computer and engine management software system that worked with Windows '98 in what was then a very user friendly format. Perhaps you can recall other tech breakthrough's that have since become much more affordable (basic pc's, dvd's, plasma tv's, to name a few...)

Just looked on Beck's website- still sells a 383 LT4 for $12k... pretty easy to get that up to $16-18k when you add in ignition, engine management, and NOS grade parts. Factor in the premium paid back then for that computer/software and "paying" him to figure out how to install it and program it...

I don't doubt I paid to much for the thing... at this point, I don't care. I just want to know what I can get for it and if it's parts are worth more than their sum of the whole.

If BRE were in the business of ripping off customers, I doubt they would still be in business today... I guess I was the sucker ops:
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

parts add up & labor ain't cheap thats what we would like to see a parts list,
at least a parsal one so we can try to help you out .
Old 06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
jclow
SHOW GUEST

I'll post back here as soon as I put together a short list of parts and pics. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:27 PM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

i had a 496 built here in ky i took a bare block and bare heads to my machine shop (not mine but where i go) with machine work all parts put together it cost me 5,500. that was with the stroker oil pan i had vavle covers carb and dist. that was including head work and new bigger valves and springs. eagle rotating assembly and je pistons. i have since changed to roller cam and rockers. it is a pump gas motor making almost 600 hp. it has been together several years now without any problems and it hasnt been babied. not saying anything against anybody but 20,000 for a 383. i think ill just keep dealing with my local guy
Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by jclow
I'll post back here as soon as I put together a short list of parts and pics. Thanks!
just my 2 cents worth but i had sort of same deal once myself.i built a nice high dollor[at that time]496bbc. never started it.came time where i had to sell[got sick and was on short term disabilty]tried everything to sell as complete engine.even had all paper work on everything in engine.still no luck.most everyone had coments that just because i had paper saying what was in that engine doesn't mean that those parts was from another engine.long story short..no buyers on complete engine..so i took engine apart and listed it that way.part by part got sold and i broke even on engine except didn't recover machine work but i did get money back for parts..

i'm thinking you would come out better selling the parts;;these being high grade parts then they are selling for lot more today then they did 7 years ago;;everything[prices]has gone way up in past 7 years;;example[a set of JE pistons 7 years ago sold for say $500.00;;today that same set of pistons would be $750.00 or there about]and today they are still top line pistons..so using that as example;;you could ask $500.00 for your pistons and it would be a good buy today for buyer and you would get what you paid for them 7 years ago..