Gotta Love Ebay

Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
DriverLost
SHOW GUEST

I have to agree that eBay has gone down hill in the past few years. I have had my share of scammers, time wasters, vanishing winner bidders, misleading ads, you name it. I've had just about everything happen in my 87 transactions. My last real bad one was the biggest, and has caused me to stop selling on there.

I sold a 1973 Volkswagen Type 181 known as the Thing here in the states. I found this relic in storage, performed the bare minimum to get it running. Fresh gas, tune up, bleed the brakes. Took a video of it showing everything working, running and driving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KDRO3E2iW4 Posted a link to it from the ad on eBay. Made it very clear that it has never been restored, and would need it. Had over 20 pictures of it showing rust holes close ups, dents, ext.

My winning bidder who got it for about a grand less then it was worth, picks it up with cash. Happy as a 6 year old with his first big wheel. Drives it home. I call him two weeks later to remind him about my feedback his still hasn't left. Still happy with it, but no feedback. 29 days later I get a threatening eMail stating he wants $1000.00 back, the cost of new brakes from MIDAS! :shock: The moron goes to Midas for a brake job on a 35 year old Volkswagen. (sorry Midas people) Or the bad feedback will come.

Well I took the bad, and haven't sold anything else since. Now with the new changes, I know I'm done with it.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:02 AM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

I for one don't really have anything bad to say about ebay or this site for that matter. I have bought and sold many many items in years past. There have been some difficult people to deal with along the way, as we all know there is "one in every crowd". However, as long as you are honest and up front about all that you know about your item for sale, and can BACK UP what you are saying then that is about all you can do. Of course you will run into people that will try to get something for nothing, want to take you to court, etc etc but usually when you call their bluff on it you can beat them at their own cowardly game.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Well you can no longer leave negative but you can at least leave a positive that says "THIS GUY IS A SCUMBAG THAT WOULD NOT PAY AFTER HE BID" ...You won't hurt their rating but you can at least get the msg out there.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Tod, hate to say it but I think the new feedback rules suggest they will not allow it and remove it. I think I read that. Doesnt mean you cant leave it; just that they will eventually remove it.

I have been dealing with their form letters for days now. They send'em and I send a lengthy response-Actually have it saved in draft.

You can try to hit them in the wallet-but its barely a dent. What has to happen is a lawsuit of which they are a co-defendant with another buyer or seller which results in a large settlement, a class-action suit, or a competitive product that draws business from them.

Else I'd just walk away- I am going to close both my Ebay account and paypal account-and just deal at swap meets where you handle the transaction face to face-The old way is still the best way.

Later, Scorp
Old 09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

This is bad news...I just started selling on EBAY last summer...I only have a 21 rating all + but when I want something new for my race car that costs much like heads or wheels I usually need to sell my old stuff to be able to afford the new...I just hope I stay lucky like Zip. :?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Closed the Ebay account today and deleted the Paypal account- The funny thing is, it feels great.

You should try it

Scorp
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Never done buisness on E-bay... but if one of my pro-shop dealers sell our bows there as "new w/ warranty" (I work for Bowtech Archery) the dealer will automatically loose the dealership forever. It is to protect the pricing & name/value. E-bay will remove the ad as well to ensure they do not continue ads with our product... that is the only good thing I can think of about them... otherwise, they are the Devil.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:10 PM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

I have been doing business on ebay for many years. Believe me you will get screwed and taken. Just a matter of time. Worst part of it all.
Ebay could care less.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
phr
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

here is a good eBay/PayPal one for you guys:

I won an auction for a 3500 sonic testor off a guy with 400 plus positive feedback and only one neutral.

I paid him 2-3 secs after the auction was over with PayPal from a credit card.. To be shipped right away, 2nd day air.

7 days later I called him to ask where it might be. He is "out of town".

This goes on for another week.

I finaly got him, said it was shipped and gives me USPS priority mail insured with delivery confirmation number (shipped in flat rate box for 1/4 of UPS rate).

4 days later I sign for and get box. I am excited and open it on counter. A brand new BRICK was in the box... yes I said a BRICK.

Try to call guy right there, answer machine, no response for another 2 weeks.

So I file a claim with PayPal stating, not as described, sent a BRICK instead of sonic testor.

PayPal emails and wants me to get "certified inspection report" from manufacturer of the sonic testor stating that the "actual BRICK I got" was not a sonic testor. (oh yea, PayPal said that..)

Seller posts delivery confirmation number to PayPal dispute on internet explaining he also had my signature for its delvery, showing I got the sonic trestor AKA brick...

PayPal tells me to wait for the "inspection report from the manufacturer" and send it to them. This to tell them, a BRICK is not a sonic testor.

I get the "letter" from Olympus after paying 75.00 and send it to PayPal certified mail. They get and sign for it.

45 days after I file claim,

PayPal rules in sellers favor, WILL NOT REFUND.

Reason stated: because manufacturer WOULD NOT SUBMIT ON THEIR LETTER HEAD STATIONARY that this BRICK was not a sonic testor. The manufacturer thought this was a total joke...and told PayPal that exactly..ON THEIR LETTER HEAD STATIONARY.

I call my credit card company, talk to fraud department and get quite a lesson about "those folks at eBay". Warned/Told to be careful using their banks issued credit card on eBay. because Chargebacks could reflect negatively on MY credit report. Then I was told, by the bank, to put the brick back into a box, and send it back with delivery confirmation.

I send it as instructed, once delivered and scanned that it was delivered, My credit card company reverses the charge that paypal made to my credit card account. Yuppie I get the money back...

PayPal immediately freezes, then closes MY paypal account for not abiding by their user agreement... (I missed the part about accepting a brick as a sonic testor, haha)

Yup paypal is the safe way to pay....the origional seller guy, got them for the 3300 bucks...and is still selling away on ebay.... I just got the royal run around...the had my account closed by them...
Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

I would go pay him a visit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -