Crash course in Ford Engines

Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 AM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

The car ran low 8's back in the 90's. Right now, my mini van can give it a run for the money. It needs some love. It has been sitting for years in a car collectors garage. The previous owner had the engine freshened. The engine builder had a chubby telling him all about the engine. He explained they did something to keep oil up on the top end, just like you mentioned. I looked in the tunnel ram ports and you can see it is port matched to the heads and it looks like extensive porting was done to the heads. I am keeping the tunnel ram but the carbs were just...crap!! They will be completely rebuilt or changed. I have the number for the engine shop that recently freshened the engine. I am calling tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Thats a beautiful car. Mine was a 68 Mustang coupe also. My dad still has it. I started building it when I was 17 and finished it on my 19th birthday. When I got ready to sell it to get a chassised 68 Vette my dad bought it from me and has had it in his garage ever since. 15 years ago. I still love that car and combo. My engine combos were probably similiar to yours if theres anything I can do let me know. I'd love to help! I ran two 660 center squirters.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
nopro
CRAFTSMAN

dparker, you had Yates heads in 87/88 ????????????????????
Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by nopro
dparker, you had Yates heads in 87/88 ????????????????????
Before you show your age!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert Yates has been racing since the 50's designing heads since the 70's. He was a prominent dragracer before starting a Nascar team in the 80s. He joined forces with Jack Roush is 2003. He has since turned the Roush/Yates racing over to his son. Maybe this article will jar your memory.

Roush/Yates engines power five of the current top 10 in driver points (Greg Biffle, Kurt Busch, Martin, Sadler and Dale Jarrett). They also have supplied the horsepower for three poles and nine victories this season, and the venture is also credited with playing a key role in Busch's 2004 Nextel Cup championship run.

For both Roush and Yates, engines and horsepower have played a major role in their professional lives from the beginning. They both started out as drag racers.

Roush was building drag racing cars in the 1960s while working as an engineer at Ford, winning numerous championships. He was involved almost exclusively in drag racing until he began to expand his engine building to provide powerplants for race teams in other sports, such as the Pike's Peak Hill Climb and various powerboat and oval track series in the 1980s.

Roush eventually started his own NASCAR team in 1988.

Robert Yates had a short career as a drag racer in the late 1950s. He left the driver's seat behind and turned his attention to NASCAR in 1968, working for the famed Holman-Moody team. He eventually earned a reputation as one of NASCAR's premier engine builders, providing engines for legendary drivers like Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison and Darrell Waltrip before starting his own team in 1989.

Since then, both men have not only built powerful and successful championship-winning NASCAR organizations, but they also have developed a strong rivalry along the way. So it surprised many when they announced in 2003 that they would be joining forces.