Dart Blocks, does anyone know for sure

Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
When i ask a few questions about the Chinese knock off, here's the answers that i got.

Zip.

The block does come with splayed steel caps. The machine work is done in China. The cam bores tend to run tight by ~ .001". The bore also checks in between 4.124" and 4.125". The decks are fairly square, but will need a clean-up cut to seal with a MLS gasket.

The Little M from Dart is available both nodular caps and billet caps.

This block is better than a Dart SHP block, for less money! It is very close to the Dart Little M (it's patterned after it...).

The block is honed 4.124 and 4.125 I would not say its better until it could be checked for blue print locations. As I have seen some substandard machine work the Chinese have put out. Quality is not one there standards!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

If interested Zip I could send (Emial to you) some pics I saw here but i don't know how to post here.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I have pictures, and the whole ad with specs. It is a ProComp block, and they list it for $1500.00 plus shipping. I could buy it cheaper, but i'm kinda with Carl Hinkson on this one, i wonder about the machining specs and locations. I don't know too many people who have a cam tunnel hone, another big concern would be lifter bore locations.
I don't want to post the ad here on RJ in the engine section, this is not the place to sell parts which i'm not trying too sell anyway. I too would like to see someone probe this blk. As i understand they sent about 10 of the first copies out to engine builders to do the measuring and all checked out o'k for unfinished. They have only been available to the public for about 3 weeks. I will say that the specs. are exactly the same as a Dart Little M and Dart already jumped on them over the Ford copy, because it had Dart on the Main cap bolts, so i'm sure that dart is watching the Chevy blk. also.

Zip.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:15 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

I would just hope that in trying economic times & almost imposible times for any co that does the r & d to develop and manufacture a top quality product here in the USA that we would support them by buying there product.chinese products are based on theft of everybody elses hard work in developing top grade products. I wont buy stolen tools , parts or anything else from a theif on the street. and i sure wont buy knock off engine parts either because in my mind that theft too. JMHO. MIKE
Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM
gungho
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
I would just hope that in trying economic times & almost imposible times for any co that does the r & d to develop and manufacture a top quality product here in the USA that we would support them by buying there product.chinese products are based on theft of everybody elses hard work in developing top grade products. I wont buy stolen tools , parts or anything else from a theif on the street. and i sure wont buy knock off engine parts either because in my mind that theft too. JMHO. MIKE
I wonder how their govt/country economy is doing???hmmmm.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gungho
NOT REALLY CONCERNED WITH WHAT THERE ECONOMY IS DOING, JUST WOULD LIKE TO SEE ENOUGHT OF OURS LEFT SO THAT YOU AND ME CAN GET JOBS THAT PAY MORE THAN BURGER FLIPIN AND RETAIL. A COUNTRY THAT PRODUCES NOTHING FAILS.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gungho
Why don't you move over there then tell us about it .
Old 08-06-2009, 06:54 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Problem is that you donot know if you're buying Chinese made products in a lot of cases. Case in point, how many of us run QA1 shocks (a lot i'm sure) a couple months ago i had to buy heavier springs, up from 110's to 130's, dam i opened the package, and right on the plastic bag the spring was incased in was a gold label made in China. Another case in point, i've been a machinist for over 50 yrs., the last 11 1/2 yrs in Ms. We used to make Sharp Microwave plastic injection molds They are based in Memphis. About 5 yrs ago they started buying from China. they could buy a mold for $40,000.00 that we couldn't make for $125,000.00. When the mold came in Sharp shipped them to us for a tuneup, they didn't even unpackage the molds first, it cost them an extra $10,000.00/$15,000.00 to correct the molds, they are still $60,000.00 ahead and their products are made in the USA.
That was the reason i started this thread, you just don't really know.Sad but true.

Zip.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

China must have factories on every corner.

like zip says just look it's made in china
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
China must have factories on every corner.

like zip says just look it's made in china
The company I worked for was outsourcing some of our stuff to China to try and stay alive...I hate it but I can't help it..anyway, I have seen man y many pictures of their factory and the workers making the parts. The stuff they have looks to be top notch and their factory is very well organized from what I can tell. As for the parts they make, Some are great some not so great...I have no idea why that is, but I do know we repack and check the stuff they make and most of it is fine but sometimes we get some garbage....but sometimes we run garbage too because anything that is mass produced is going to have problems here and there...I don't care who you are or what you say no manufacturing company runs 100% perfect parts I guarantee you that and I guarantee you they don't throw every part away that is not top notch...they all have tolerance and they use it. If they didn't they would be out o0f business in a hurry because nothing runs perfect all the time. The difference is how well they control these quality issues and what they do or don't do to fix them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -