BBC Tall Deck Vs. Short Deck Good Vs. Bad

Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 AM
chucks70nova
SHOW GUEST

Default BBC Tall Deck Vs. Short Deck Good Vs. Bad

BBC Tall Deck 10.2 Vs. Short Deck 9.8.

What is the Good Vs. Bad of a Tall Deck 10.2 to a Short Deck 9.8 Block?

I want to Build a 427 Tall Deck 10.2 BBC for Street and Strip.
I want to know when Building this what the Good to Bad of a Tall Deck?

What should I watch for when Boring and going to New Piston Selection and Rod Length?

I've heard can make a 496 out of this Tall Deck, but would like to
know the Good and Bad before i do so.

All Help is Greatly Appreciated,
Old 11-07-2007, 07:07 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

before you get into all the different combinations a tall deck block can turn out vs short deck...you might want to look at the car you are putting this motor in ...some cars has a hard time just sticking a tall deck motor in the cradle and bolting up and driving off.....its gonna change header clearances etc......now if a tall deck came out of the car then no problems right ?...i know,i know, its only metal,,,and i am well aware you can make anything fit..now this turns into what kind of a fab man are you ?...lol
just something to think about before you get to committed.

thats the logical approach and often overlooked part of this..
now let the gurus more qualified then me come in a tell you all about the different combo's you can get Tall vs Short..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

i believe most if not all the tall deck 366 and 427 bbc were truck applications-ive read typically the bores are thicker which ive heard being able to go up to .125 overbore safely.(anything over .060 i would double check with a sonic test)so keep in mind that fact.im not sure how big a stroke crank you can put in but id venture to say 4.375 or even 4.5 may fit.i built a 10.2 deck dart block and it has a 4.5 stroke crank with 6.7 rods so the rod to stroke ratio wasnt that horrible.borexborexstrokex6.283=cubic inches--->advice--->more cubes=more torque.torque in a street car is king!!!but keep in mind tall deck+stock motor mounts=most likely big scoop.good luck
Old 11-16-2007, 07:58 PM
gyrogearloose
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Re: BBC Tall Deck Vs. Short Deck Good Vs. Bad

Originally Posted by chucks70nova
BBC Tall Deck 10.2 Vs. Short Deck 9.8.

What is the Good Vs. Bad of a Tall Deck 10.2 to a Short Deck 9.8 Block?

I want to Build a 427 Tall Deck 10.2 BBC for Street and Strip.
I want to know when Building this what the Good to Bad of a Tall Deck?

What should I watch for when Boring and going to New Piston Selection and Rod Length?

I've heard can make a 496 out of this Tall Deck, but would like to
know the Good and Bad before i do so.

All Help is Greatly Appreciated,
You can build a 496 ci using a short deck, (9.800") BBC.
4.250" stroke, 4.310" bore, using 6.535" rods (.400" long), (this rod will give you a 1.54 rod to stroke ratio, stock ratio is 1.53) and use a piston with a compression distance of 1.120".
This gives you 9.78" (crank center line to top of piston), (stroke/2+rod length+compression distance). Machine the deck surface .015", (give you a nice flat, straight, clean surface), will gives a .005" deck clearance.
Put a good set of heads on it and you will be happy. You won't have much trouble with engine to chassis and body clearance either.
A 4.250" stroke will need a small amount of clearance work for the stroke and added rod length, but not hard to do. I have seen some stock BBC that will take a 4.250" stroke with out clearance work.
You can find short deck BBC everywhere, tall decks are harder to find and usually cost more.

just what I would do,

gyrogearloose