std vs raised port

Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 AM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Default std vs raised port

I have a set of std port(fully ported) heads that has dropped an inlet insert. Trying to decide wether to fix these or buy a set of raised ports(no porting). What mods would have to be done to fit my injection manifold with raised ports.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Don't know which raised port heads you are talking about, but i put Brodix 10's RP,FP's on my 434" and Hilborn 2 7/16" stacks.
I had too build 1/4" spacers between the bottom of the manifold and the front and back top of the block, also had to use .120 thick intake gaskets to get the ports to line up.
These block spacers are availablen the web, but i made mine since i had the equipment too do so.
Below is a pic. if you look closely the spacer is not under the manifold in this pic., you can see the gap.

Zip.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 PM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Hey Zip this is on my v6 didn't even get to the track, got as far as the trailer.
How much higher were your ports, i'm looking at .200 higher, not sure what thickness gaskets i can get just trying to get a gauge so i can make -up my mind which way to go.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 AM
ccperf721p
SENIOR BUILDER

I run a set of 1103 raised runner bowties, a long time back I test fitted a standard port victor ram. I would have had to run a .225 spacer between the intake and head along with two .060 gaskets to get the port to line up. It would have left me with a less than ideal entry angle into the head so I decided to wait it out until I came across a 3 piece Hilborn unit.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 AM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Default 3 pc manifold

Make YOUR manifold a 3 pc. Zip and another friend did this to mine and it works great.I have to use the .120 gasket. Later J.Smith 4621 racing
PS this is a Hilborn stack unit
Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by qiksix
Hey Zip this is on my v6 didn't even get to the track, got as far as the trailer.
How much higher were your ports, i'm looking at .200 higher, not sure what thickness gaskets i can get just trying to get a gauge so i can make -up my mind which way to go.
Mine are .200 higher, i forgot to mention you'll also need a slip collar distributor to reach the oil pump drive. I think Speedway sells the spacers, or you google the spacers, the V8 add V6 would be the same spacers. I used 10-32 flathead screws to locate mine but it would be easier th use roll pins. All in all it might be cheaper to fix the valve seats in your other heads.
I think you could double the gaskets if the .120's are not available for the V6's.

HaHa, what Jimmy Smith is not telling you is that it took me all day to make his 1 pc. injection into a 3 pc., lot's of machining and checking the match.

JMO

Zip.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

I had thought of making it 3pc. as Zip had mentioned before, sounds like too much trouble as my shaft rockers/pushrods etc. probably wont fit. So i think i'll fix the one's i have, do you guy's think there'd be a problem if the heads are a little soft. I have'nt checked them yet, just trying think how the insert dropped out and there is a groove around them from the wire head gasket.