moly or mild steel?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by johnracer
NHRA is very clear about welding cm. The rulebook states that cm must be tig welded....
That's what I figured...
Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by CNDRACER25
Originally Posted by zipper06
You said it yourself, not ready to go that fast, Moly cost 1/3 more in material and must be welded with TIG, VS MS Mig welded extra cost a bunch.

zip.
THAT IS NOT TRUE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TIG MOLY YOU CAN MIG IT. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME JUST ASK SOMEONE IN THE WELDING INDUSTRY. IF THEY ARE EXPERIENCED THEY WILL TELL YOU SO
CNDRACER,you are right.NHRA just won't allow it.And CM is not all that much lighter.No doubt that it is,but it doesn't weigh 1/3 of MS.like some people tend to think.Steel is steel and it weighs what steel weighs...peroid.Now,CM is stronger and lets you run a thinner wall thickness,that is where the weight savings comes in,less steel.MS tubing is what 0.130,and CM is 0.080 (???could be wrong) a difference of 0.050 wall thickness.That reduces the weight BY about a third,not down TO a third
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

That's what i was going to say but 3 or 4 guys beat me too it, Ofcourse you can mig CM, but it's not certifiable by NHRA or IHRA, the 2 main sanctioning bodys. You can stick weld it also by useing nirod. But it's not legal for certification.
Another factor comes into play also, a MS chassis cannot be certified below 7.50 no matter how many bars you put in/on the chassis.

Zip.