wilwood residual valves

Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 PM
etchison
CRAFTSMAN

Default wilwood residual valves

i have a tube chassis door car with floor a mounted master. 4 wheel disc brakes and i have two blue 2# valves one front and one back. my partners new car he just picked up has the same breaking set up. but his car has a red(drum brake) one for his front discs? his pedal feels a lot firmer than mine. cars where both just had power bleeding done? is this something i dont know about running red valves to the front discs? thanks mike
Old 03-05-2014, 11:45 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

red is for drum (more pressure)
blue is for rotor style brakes

Dont want to mix the two.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default wilwood

Blue = 2 # residual pressure.

Red = 10# residual pressure
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 AM
etchison
CRAFTSMAN

after more looking i see that we have way diffrent brake pedal ratios. mine is closer to the piviot point
Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
jtortorete
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

It also can be the master cylinder piston size. I smaller master cyl. piston can give better pedal feel. I went from 1 1/18" to a 1" master on my all wheel disc brake system, and the brake feel was much better, and the car stops better as well. That is because of the higher line pressure.

I do not use a residual valve. My master cylinder is wheel height. I do not want the drag, and I do not need to pump the pedal.

Jack
Old 08-29-2014, 04:43 AM
AndrewCharlson
SHOW GUEST

Be sure to mount your reservoirs high if you have floor level master cylinders, then you will not need residual valves. This makes things very easy to bleed the brakes too as the air goes to the reservoir rather than the brake cylinder which would be higher if the reservoir is at floor level.