knowledge for a youngster

Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

Default knowledge for a youngster

im only 19 and have always wanted to own my own hot rod but always seem to get stuck with half hot street cars

the knowledge im looking for is more of a qquestion.... when did you start racing and how did you start off

ive always dreamed of having a fast good looking car but havent been able to afford it yet

thank you for helping
Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Well i got into dragracing from my Dad, He raced a 1968 Hemi Dart in super stock racing. My first street/drag car was a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440, It ran in the 14.0's, So i went to work at the age of 14 on farm's, Mowing yards ETC. So every year with my money i would chat with older racers that had been racing for years asking what parts i needed. My Dad raised me to work for what i wanted other than food and shelter. So every year i would buy parts and when i had enough my Dad helped me pull the engine rebuild it install the parts i had bought. Then i was in the 11.0's. So that is how and with what i got started :!: :!: I remember what he taught me and my other brothers and sisters so here i am today :!: :!: Just work at it little by little and you will be where you want to be don't get too excited too quick set your goal and go after it :!: :!:

Mark
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

well thats my main problem my dad know enough about cars to do small repairs. it took my 4 months to put together my first motor (though not proud to admit) because i didnt have anyone but a few friends to help. that motor ran for about 5sec before it blew up due to parts put in the wrong place (like nuts and bolts inside the intake port of my head) but thanks for what you told me i think that this site has taught me more than any one else thanks RJ and all of the members
Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Ok go to your local track surely you know someone that races, Go talk to them let them know what you want to do, they will give you advice. Go and hang out with them at the track. Saveup your money and let your local machine shop build it for you.

Mark
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

now i know what im doin ive worked for a custome mechanic shop for a while but the biggest problem is college and at the moment the only hot rods around me are tractors.... yes i live in a redneck town and we only have trctor pulls here so i know alot about deisel hot rods
Old 03-06-2011, 07:03 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Well you still have another tool. You have the greatest bunch of guy's right here. All you have to do is ask them. Not one of them will lead you wrong.

Mark
Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

thanks mark and RJ ill be in touch
Old 03-07-2011, 04:22 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by txhunter69
that motor ran for about 5sec before it blew up due to parts put in the wrong place (like nuts and bolts inside the intake port of my head)
HEY ! I've heard of that happening to PRO'S !! :shock: :shock: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: I have PERSONAL experience ......
Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Originally Posted by txhunter69
that motor ran for about 5sec before it blew up due to parts put in the wrong place (like nuts and bolts inside the intake port of my head)
HEY ! I've heard of that happening to PRO'S !! :shock: :shock: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: I have PERSONAL experience ......
Yeah, me too! Doing third gear burnout and motor STOPS. Real quiet except water running out of the carb. :shock:
Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Just don't give up. I started riding motorcycles then moved to racing motocross when I was 13 and moved to cars when I turned 16. I have been around / involved with drag racing since. I was raising my family so I could only attend or go to the races with others. I started gathering parts for my car in 1997. Bought a set of Track 1 heads, then a crank, rods, pistons, etc...

I bought the car I race now in 2007 as a rolling chassis and built the motor with the parts I had been gathering. My first passes in my own car came July of '07. I made an easy 330' to make sure it was going to go straight and then ran a 10.32 on the next pass. My last pass last year was a 9.54 in the same car, same motor and all.

Take your time and don't get over anxious so that you give up.

Curtis

oldandtired, how did water run out of the carb??? LOL If that is the case you REALLY blew that one up. :lol: :lol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -