TURBO OR POWERGLIDE ? ANYONE WITH REAL EXPIERENCE ??

Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 AM
edspring1
APPRENTICE

Default TURBO OR POWERGLIDE ? ANYONE WITH REAL EXPIERENCE ??

I AM HELPING MY SON PUT TOGETHER A BBC S-10. 588 CID, HEALTHY HYD, ROLLER CAM TO START WITH AND THE VALVE/PISTON CLEARANCE IS SUCH THAT A LARGER SOLID ROLLER CAN BE INSTALLED NEXT SEASON. THE TRUCK HAS BEEN TUBBED, CAGED, AND MOST IF NOT ALL THE INTERIOR REMOVED. IT HAS 'NOT' BEEN LIGHTENED UP IN ANY WAY HOWEVER. AND NO NYTRIOUS. AND SOMEWHERE ABOUT 4500/5000 STALL. HERES OUR DILEMA. WE WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USE THE SAME TRANS THIS YEAR AS NEXT. AND WE ARE AT A TOSS UP AS WHICH TO USE/NEED. I HAVE READ THAT P/G WORK WELL WITH LIGHT WGHT., HIGHER RPM VEHICLES BUT NOT SO GOOD WITH HEAVIER LOW RPM'S? JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS HANDS ON EXPIERENCE WITH WHAT SHOULD WORK BEST. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS JUST A FUN TRUCK, WE HAVE NO INTENSIONS OF FOLLOWING ANY PARTICULAR CIRCUT OR ANY POINTS. WE JUST WANT TO HAVE AS MUCH RELIABLE FUN AS POSSIBLE AT THE LOCAL TRACKS. WE CAN'T AFFORD ONE OF THE 3K + TRANSMISSIONS. MY EXPECTATIONS IS THE ENGINE CURRENTLY WILL SHIFT AT ABOUT 7-7300 AND PROBABLY WEIGHS ABOUT 3,000 LBS. 31.5" TALL TIRE, 489 GEARS, ALUM. 360 HEADS. SINGLE DOM. CARB.
I GUESS WHAT I AM ASKING YOU FOLKS IS :
WHAT HAS YOUR EXPIERENCES BEEN WITH A MODERATE WEIGHT , LOW RPM, BIG TIRE, BIG GEAR VEHICLE. P/G or TH400 ?
NOTHING IS 100% CERTAIN, BUT I'LL GO WITH HANDS ON EXPIERENCE ANYTIME, OVER WHAT A SALESMAN TELLS YOU....LOL
THANKS A TON !!!!! Ed
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

The power glide will work just fine for you .
I would go with the turbo input shaft and a spragless converter and you will be fine.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rlmotorsports
I would go with the turbo input shaft and a spragless converter and you will be fine.
I went from a turbo 350 to a glide with a brake
glides are way better for me at least, shift once instead of 2 times
and trans brake, hell ya!!!!!
ptc will take care of ya, excellent people :!:
Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rlmotorsports
Also I would ad a 1.80 gear set and a bracket brake to keep it simple. JMO
Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

TH400 all the way. Can be upgraded as needed to hold any power level you'll ever see. Lower first gear to help the heavier vehicle get moving and is less critical on converter selection. Can be just as consistant as any powerglide as long as you take the time to dial in your combo. Powerglides will cost you 2K or more for a decent one that will handle the power you're making, a TH400 will take nearly that much power in stock form. With a few low cost mods, you'll have a trans that will live for years.

I'll catch a bunch of flak for this, but I don't care. Powerglides are old technology. Three speeds are taking over.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

When we ran pump gas 400's they were always quicker with a glide. They are cheaper, easier to get parts for, easier on the chassis and suspension and most of the time as fast or faster. Unless you are running a highly tuned class car I would not run any 3 speed.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I'm with you Mark, glide for sure...

Johnny
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I managed to screw two TH400's that were well built, with my 572ci. I now run a 632ci, heaps of nitrous and a POWERGLIDE.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:54 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Powerglide hands down........

Shifts once, more consistent, cheap to build/buy, lighter, durable, easy to get parts for :wink:
Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

I respectfully disagree with the "more consistant" part. Easier to get consistant with, yes. More consistant, no.............I'm living proof of that..........

My vote is still the TH400

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -