Belching flames

Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

We've made some other changes. I had a guy from Dynotech racing engines look at the car. He thinks the timing was going crazy on the 2 step. We welded the weights in the distributor to lock it down. We bought a couple of cheap reducers for the headers. We went from 4"-3". We put a hotter plug in it also. We were going to test last night but other things came up. We'll be going to the UBDRA race Friday.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I'm thinking all them changes are gonna mess you up. How are you going to know what change affected what? And what change fixed the prob?
GOLDEN RULE: ONE CHANGE AT A TIME
Old 09-20-2009, 02:52 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
I'm thinking all them changes are gonna mess you up. How are you going to know what change affected what? And what change fixed the prob?
GOLDEN RULE: ONE CHANGE AT A TIME
We didn't have that kind of time. We had to throw everything at it. We had a big race this weekend and no time to test. The results were...
1st pass the car ran 6.86 @ 93. Slow but no flame show, no hesitation, good pass.
We took off the reducers and the car ran 6.46 @ 103.
.4 and 10 mph increase. Right where it should be running.
The plugs looked lean so we jetted it up.
I got my bell rang on the line when the car launched, stumbled for a milli second and lauched again. Bounced my helmet off the rollbar.
So we leaned it out a little and the car ran good.

Bad news is that some of plugs are still black. They are not reading the same from cylinder to cylinder. Some are fouled and some aren't. We are getting closer but still not right. It seems to be rich on idle. possibly lean on the pass.

One of the problems are we can't get enough passes at Gateway to make many changes. Tuesday nights can be a joke. My brother was there a few weeks ago and made 1 pass in 4 hours. This coming weekend is Monster Mopar. We go straight to Megabucks after that.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:17 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

if its not to far ,greatlakes dragaway is open a few nites a week , you should be able to get the passes in you need there to get it tunned.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:43 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
if its not to far ,greatlakes dragaway is open a few nites a week , you should be able to get the passes in you need there to get it tunned.
Thanks for the info but we are near St. Louis. It's at least 2 hours to the next closest track.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:48 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by slowmotion
Thanks for the info but we are near St. Louis. It's at least 2 hours to the next closest track.
Benton is 90 minutes from Gateway.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by slowmotion
Benton is 90 minutes from Gateway.
I forget about that track. I haven't been there since the 80's.

Mapquest from my town 2 hours 4 minutes / 113.31 miles
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Car runs ok. Still fat at idle. Ken Jones has the carb.
The down side is that at Megabucks I was sitting under the tower with the car idling in nuetral. The planatary gears exploded while sitting still. The tranny is at Transmissions to Go in Arnold Mo. Hopefully I'll get all my parts back in time for the last T&T at Gateway.