Milky oil and alcohol

Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Milky

Sorry guys, but I mis spoke on the SRP alloy for BBC high compression. It is not what I said. It is 2618 just like JE. Also it is not on the box but is in the literature. Oops.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
Did you get a chance to leak it or compression it yesterday ?

If you do bail on this engine and go another route, there is better shops to choice from then Schmidt also :wink:
Leaked down the engine yesterday:

Cold

Compression test: 195 to 218 psi

Leak down: one cylinder at 0% and one at 2%. All the others at 1%.

Hot - 160 degrees

Leak down: 3 cylinders at 1%, 4 cylinders at 2% and one at 8%.

I changed to oil after the tests. It looked good. No milking.

Warmed the engine and checked the valve lash. All were good.

The oil in the top of the heads had no indication of milking.

I also cleaned out the vacuum pump, lines and breather tank and changed the drive pulley. The vacuum pump is now spinning at 75% of engine instead of 50%.

Now I am wondering if I am rolling into the burnout box too cold. And the initial hit of alcohol washes the cylinders and dumps into the pan.
I would rather not give up on the alcohol now that I know the engine is tight.
You guys say you are running 39 nozzles and 80 - 85 pill. I run at a normal density altitude of 5500 - 6000 feet. Shouldn't I be quite a bit leaner than you?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kod99

If you do bail on this engine and go another route, there is better shops to choice from then Schmidt also :wink:

Cold

Hot - 160 degrees

I also cleaned out the vacuum pump, lines and breather tank and changed the drive pulley. The vacuum pump is now spinning at 75% of engine instead of 50%.

Now I am wondering if I am rolling into the burnout box too cold. And the initial hit of alcohol washes the cylinders and dumps into the pan.
You guys say you are running 39 nozzles and 80 - 85 pill. I run at a normal density altitude of 5500 - 6000 feet. Shouldn't I be quite a bit leaner than you?
Ding ding ... you should be leaner in that air, thats why I kept saying start at 39/80, its on the rich side. Actually may be a 38/80 engine as it doesnt make the power I thought it should of. All your leak down #s look good.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Cold

Hot - 160 degrees

Ding ding ... you should be leaner in that air, thats why I kept saying start at 39/80, its on the rich side. Actually may be a 38/80 engine as it doesnt make the power I thought it should of. All your leak down #s look good.
The next smaller nozzles I have are 37's. I will have to use 39 nozzles and maybe a 100 pill?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 AM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

describe your ignition system please? wondering if it is up to the task? trying to sort out a similar fuel system myself... :wink:
Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Cold

Hot - 160 degrees

The next smaller nozzles I have are 37's. I will have to use 39 nozzles and maybe a 100 pill?
what still worries me is this, you are rich on your setup, you take fuel away it slows down. Still think there is something else off somewhere, restricting fuel back. Did you by chance leak down the barrel valve when you leaked the engine ?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:40 AM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Default leakdown

David,

what should the barrel valve leak down be set at?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: leakdown

Originally Posted by maxpower671
David,

what should the barrel valve leak down be set at?
On his setup around 28%
Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by maxpower671
describe your ignition system please? wondering if it is up to the task? trying to sort out a similar fuel system myself... :wink:
MSD 6AL, MSD crank trigger and a MSD Pro Power coil.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Cold

Hot - 160 degrees

what still worries me is this, you are rich on your setup, you take fuel away it slows down. Still think there is something else off somewhere, restricting fuel back. Did you by chance leak down the barrel valve when you leaked the engine ?
I tested the leak down on the barrel valve when the engine was put on the dyno. I will check it again before running this weekend.
If I run 39 nozzles with a 100 pill, that will be a far cry from the dyno that liked the 39 nozzles and 88 pill. The difference was that on the dyno, the engine temp was always above 150 F.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -