no drive !!!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:44 AM
bbc476
APPRENTICE

Default no drive !!!

help
we have a 476 alcohol bbc rail,ran low 8,s last year on gas.we stepped up on our powerglide transmission for this season, aftermarket case,vasco planeteries and shafts,blue printed pump,10 plate clutch etc etc the whole nine yards.Our local expert put it together,but no drive,in any gear. the pick up is under oil,[extended pan and pickup] the torque convertor is engaged on the pump, the lever pin is in the valve spool but no pressure in any form,no oil out of the bottom cooler port. Took the glide out again,gave it to a local builder,he found no pressure relief valve in the pump !!, put it back,still no drive [!!**%}.The turbo spline shaft,8"convertor and sportsman valve are from last year,ran 4 x 8.40s within a hundreth,parked it with no problems. I,m tearing whats left of my hair out,the nieghbours are ready to kill me,[enderle injection,30"zoomies] and my wife wants to go racin.This is all high end expensive parts,no ebay junk so any idea's,thoughts or theory's would be gratefully welcome.........thanks....Pat
Old 05-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Wow...your luck is almost as good as mine. that sucks.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 AM
tkilby
APPRENTICE

IMO you still got a problem with the pump. If it's a store bought pump should have a warranty. I would really be concerned with the quality of pump since it did not come with valve installed. Again, IMO.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:45 AM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

I agree sounds like a problem with the pump. but have you looked at the housing maybe ports not machined correctly? How about gasket alignment? Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:09 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

GEE---DOES IT HAVE A DRIVESHAFT INSTALLED!!!! ops: ops: ops:

CAN YOUR BUILDER TEST IT AT HIS SHOP?? MOST CAN ON A PORTABLE STAND.--IF ALL YOU CHANGED WAS THE PUMP THEN I WOULD KEEP CHECKING THERE---IS THE FILTER FULL OF JUNK?IS THE TRANS FULL OF FLUID?--SOMETIMES SIMPLE THINGS CAN DRIVE YOU CRAZY :? :? :?

LIVELY
Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Drive

The Main Question that i have?
You say that it does NOT have Drive!But,Does it have REVERSE?
Not,trying to be a SmartaZZ,jst was wondering???
Later
G 8)
Old 05-10-2008, 01:24 PM
bbc476
APPRENTICE

Default no drive !!!

No sir,there is no movement in the drive shaft at all,foward or back,not even a kick when you move the shift lever at 2200 rpm, yes i have a drive shaft,fluid,filter, spool movment,all the normal stuff you check, All i can see is the pan fluid leval is not going down,no fluid from either cooler ports and no rotation on the output shaft. I,m a aerospace tool & die,started racing in 1966 and this has me stumped.thanks for the tip on missing ports,thats my next try......Pat
Old 05-10-2008, 03:59 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default pump

did the converter break the lil notches off where the convertor engages into the inner gear, resulting in no pumping of fluid. Just the converter spinning in the pump bushing???
Old 05-10-2008, 05:29 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

HAVE YOU LOOSENED A LINE GOING TO THE COOLER TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY PRESSURE? SIMPLE CHECKS IS WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO DO 8)

THE DRIVE SHAFT THING REALLY DID HAPPEN TO A FREIND OF MINE[HE FORGOT TO PUT IT IN AND KEPT RUNNING IT BACK AND FORTH]---HE FELT REALLY DUMB AFTERWARD AND WE NEVER LET HIM FORGET IT!!!!

LIVELY
Old 05-10-2008, 07:25 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I would replace the pump or your builder or both. Was the valve body changed as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -