TIMING ? AGAIN

Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Jeff your not at tdc.....one time the piston is at the top the rotor will point at number 6 the next time the piston comes up to the top the rotor will be pointing at number1....thats because the cam turns 2 times for every turn of the crank.....
Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

dparker, I'm not trying to start a controversy, but the cam turns over once, for every two turns of the crank.

Where ya been, did you bring a note from your doctor?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:09 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by wmeabates
What did you change in the jeting to improve the 60 ft? Give some info about the carb.Bill.
PUT 82 IN FRONT,HAVE 86 IN REAR, HAD 76 IN FRONT.CARB IS PRO SYSTEMS.950 HP BODY AND WORKED TO FLOW 840 CFM..AS OF FRIDAY THEY TOLD ME TO REMOVE FRONT POWER VALVE AND PLUG IT ,REAR IS PLUGGED,THEN PUT 90 JETS IN FRONT AND BACK,MAKE A PASS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.WILL TEST IT THIS WEEKEND.THIS COMPANY(PRO SYSTEMS)IS A WONDERFUL COMPANY,THEY EVEN AFTER AFTER HOURS NUMBER SO YOU CAN CALL THEM WHILE YOU ARE AT THE TRACK SO THEY CAN HELP.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 AM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

Jeff,Let us know how you do with the help from Pro System.It's good to hear about someone helping with the parts they sell.Bill.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
dparker, I'm not trying to start a controversy, but the cam turns over once, for every two turns of the crank.

guess I need one.....trying to type to fast sometimes my brain is a sentence ahead of my typing......
I still think the reason that the rotor is pointing at 6 when he's on TDC on the harmonic balancer, is that the piston is on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke....lol
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by dparker
Originally Posted by suicidebomb

guess I need one.....trying to type to fast sometimes my brain is a sentence ahead of my typing......
I still think the reason that the rotor is pointing at 6 when he's on TDC on the harmonic balancer, is that the piston is on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke....lol
MY REV PROBLEM WENT AWAY WHEN I PUT THE OLD 6AL BOX IN ,NOW I HAVE A LEAN STUNBLE WHEN I MASH THE GAS,ATLEAST THATS WHAT MY CARB GUY THINKS I AM GOING TO YTRY HIS SUGGESTIONS THIS WEEKEND.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
Originally Posted by wmeabates
What did you change in the jeting to improve the 60 ft? Give some info about the carb.Bill.
PUT 82 IN FRONT,HAVE 86 IN REAR, HAD 76 IN FRONT.CARB IS PRO SYSTEMS.950 HP BODY AND WORKED TO FLOW 840 CFM..AS OF FRIDAY THEY TOLD ME TO REMOVE FRONT POWER VALVE AND PLUG IT ,REAR IS PLUGGED,THEN PUT 90 JETS IN FRONT AND BACK,MAKE A PASS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.WILL TEST IT THIS WEEKEND.THIS COMPANY(PRO SYSTEMS)IS A WONDERFUL COMPANY,THEY EVEN AFTER AFTER HOURS NUMBER SO YOU CAN CALL THEM WHILE YOU ARE AT THE TRACK SO THEY CAN HELP.

"950 HP body worked to flow 840" > Huh?

90 square sounds awefully big on the jets, I run a 1050 dominator on my 496 BBC and that's what I run.

If your having an off idle stumble make sure and check your acellerator pumps, you need a good squirt as soon as you crack the throttle.
That would be the first place I'd look before I started yanking jets and plugging power valvesand stuff even though I plug my power valves, just dont get ahead of yourself, you might cause another problem before you fix the original one.
Trust me on this one >Do one thing at a time and put back what DOES NOT fix the problem.
Be prepared when you go to the track to make several adjustments, bring plenty of tools, spare carb parts and it wouldnt hurt to have a resisdent guru handy for assistance and play with it till you get it right.
Goodluck, Cp

JMO>Cp
Old 09-05-2009, 03:55 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

90'S WERE TO MUCH BUT THE STUNBLE WENT AWAY SO I GUESS IT WAS MY CARB,PUT IN 88'S PLUGS WERENT TO BAD BUT CAR RAN GREAT PULLING THE FRONT WHEEL'S OFF THE GROUND AND LOW 10'S ALL NIGHT.MONDAY IM GOING TO CHANGE THE PLUGS AND GO DOWN A JET SIZE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.NOW I NEED TO FIND AWAY TO KEEP THE FRONT END DOWN.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:16 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Cepx...

Yeah, the 950HP carbs only flow about 810 CFM from Holley...

It's not commonly known, but yes, you get more factory flow from a 850 Double Pumper than a 950HP.