Starting Issues

Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gearhead1011
Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by john858
if you have your timing locked down the timing retard will solve the problem i would think
My thoughts also I know the 25 degree start retard is way to much though, thats why I am thinking 10 would be good.
I would go with the 25* retard. My guess is the timing is fixed at about 35* so you will have about 10* in it for starting. If you uses a 10* retard you're still starting with 25* of timing in it.
I've tried the 25 start retard its to much out, causing the cyclinders to fire on top of each other it seems.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:34 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

Too much retard will also cause issue's too. Have you tried to start the motor with a total of 20-25 degrees of timing in it? My little sbc loves 20 of total timing for starting. Just a thought.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Stupid question....is the cap/ rotor indexed correctly? I'm sure you have checked that just a thought. I guess phased would be a better word than indexed...
Old 06-02-2008, 07:52 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
Stupid question....is the cap/ rotor indexed correctly? I'm sure you have checked that just a thought. I guess phased would be a better word than indexed...

Should only need to do that with a crank trigger correct ? If not please explain.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default starter

For one i would not use that cheap jegs starter on this engine. I have a injected bbc on alcohol i start no problem with a csr starter and 32-35* timing, Never kicked back. Also you might think about going to a better flex plate, one that is thicker.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: starter

Originally Posted by kwkracing
For one i would not use that cheap jegs starter on this engine. I have a injected bbc on alcohol i start no problem with a csr starter and 32-35* timing, Never kicked back. Also you might think about going to a better flex plate, one that is thicker.
Only reason I am saying the jegs I have awesome luck on my last 2 cars with that one. I have a Tilton Super Starter now, as for a flexplate. It has broken the JW Wheel already also .. hard to dump $150-200 for a flexplate to watch it break.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

we've had bad luck out of jeg starters. i'd get a good sfi
flexplate,tilton starter,timing retard & go racing.good luck
Old 06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by john858
we've had bad luck out of jeg starters. i'd get a good sfi
flexplate,tilton starter,timing retard & go racing.good luck
TCI Fleplate, tilton super starter, and starter saver on the way .. I will know more on friday this week. thanks for the help guys
Old 06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

[quote="hammertime"]

Should only need to do that with a crank trigger correct ? If not please explain.[/quote
You need to phase the rotor either way. It's just easier with a crank trigger because you can just rotate the distributor to set phasing. If using the dist for the trigger, get a cap-adapt with an adjustable rotor, set the timing, then phase the rotor....
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

[quote="johnracer"]
Originally Posted by hammertime

Should only need to do that with a crank trigger correct ? If not please explain.[/quote
You need to phase the rotor either way. It's just easier with a crank trigger because you can just rotate the distributor to set phasing. If using the dist for the trigger, get a cap-adapt with an adjustable rotor, set the timing, then phase the rotor....
How do you suggest phasing it with a regular cap and no hole ? I've heard of people doing so but not sure ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -