how to tell if converter is bad??

Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Default how to tell if converter is bad??

Went to test and tune Friday night.New backhalfed worked perfect.Goes straight and smooth and hooks great.But the math don't seem right.Car has an 11:1 496 with Canfield 310s and a 652 lift solid roller.Duration at .050 is 262,adv is 308.Not an all out race piece.

Old rig: GM 8.5 10 bolt 4.88s Auburn posi and 28x9 MT slix on original 1948 Olds suspension. Ran a best of [email protected] with a 1.72 60".Car was a little loose for the first half track.

New setup:Ford 9" 5,86 on spool with 33x16 Goodyear slix.Ran a [email protected] with a 1.59 60' :cry: BUT.It lifts the front tires up 4" and doesn't set them down until I shift into second(TH400) about 70+ feet out.Last two passes it carries the front end the same,but ran a 1.80 then a 1.88 60" :?: How can you hang em in the air with an import-like short time :evil: Tranny is fresh and shifts firm.Converter is used,stalls at 3200 on footbrake and flashes at about 3800-4000.Trans has NEVER made heat before,but on last two passes went to 120 then 160 degrees.Fluid looks good(colr and clenliness)but has a slight odor.Not reallt burnt,just funny smelling.Almost like extra sweet smelling if that makes any sense.Help please.I can't afford to spend in the wrong direction.What does it mean when someone says"blowing thru " a converter???Thanks Eric.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Okay....plan "B".Just pulled the pan off and it's fried.Fluid didn't look too bad on the dipstick,but in the pan was friction material and smelled horrible.So,I wonder what caused it? A little history on the tranny.It came out of a 1972 C20 and had 175,00 miles on it when I put it in my car.Drove it on the street with about 400 hp for a couple years and ran 7.90-8.10 on it for about 100 1/8 mile passes or less.Never gave any trouble.B&M shift kit and worked fine.Built the new motor (runs 6.90s)and went with a new valvebody,TCI full manual reverse,no brake.Decided it needed some new clutches so I put in a Red Eagle kit with the Kolene steels.1-2 shift was always a little lazy after that,but it never really seemed to be slipping.And shifter was adjusted correctly.("Hey,I got a good idea...let's flog it at the track to see what's wrong with the lazy shift....naaahhh...it won't hurt it" :roll: I am so dumb,sometimes).And it never made heat AT ALL.BUT,the valvebody came with a spring to up the line pressure,which I did install,but I never checked the line pressure to see if it was what it was supposed to be.I bet my original 1972,175,00+ mile pump was not making enough pressure and it let the clutches slip :?: Maybe :idea: I don't know.I'm not a tranny guru.I 've only got about 25 passes on those clutches :cry: Are they not good stuff,or is it something else???Opinions please.Might be going 'Glide after all.....ouch..$$$.....
Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM
123car
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

olds48 you have a pm
Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM
123car
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

ERIC YOU HAVE A PM
Old 04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Got 'em both,bud.THANKS!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Nevermind my question about the converter.Pulled the drain plug a little while ago.Couple little chunks of metal and the fluid looks like black coffee and smells totally burnt.Just about make you puke.Well,let's see how much this is gonna cost
Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by olds48
Nevermind my question about the converter.Pulled the drain plug a little while ago.Couple little chunks of metal and the fluid looks like black coffee and smells totally burnt.Just about make you puke.Well,let's see how much this is gonna cost
ouch... well, good news is you have an excuse to upgrade now... transbrake time? :P

I doubt youll want it, but if you want a cheap good tranny (still in car and driving) I have a turbo 350 that I can sell you for cheap. you can try your hand at modifying one by yourself. :twisted: Im selling b/c I want to upgrade to a 4-speed.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:53 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks V8,but I think I'm gonna stay 400 for awhile.Don't want to spend on a driveshaft and another vbody right now.And last time I "modified" my own tranny.....well,we see how that turned out ops: I really don't think I screwed it up,but I'll find out soon enough.Going to the fixin' place tomorrow.Thanks for the offer though.Wish I had knew that earlier!!!I just bought a th350 for the rail about a month ago...looks like I should kept my money :lol: