Take a guess (I know this is a car site)

Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for all the input!! Good ideas... I will look at the carb this weekend first. I will also check the boot as well. I hear 2 conditions... lean & rich. I am going to start with rich possibilities b/c I know that small flames can be seen comming out of the silencer too... it makes sense that it is getting too much fuel.

On the other hand, I originally thought it was LEAN due to high temp. Being this is a different motor for me to work on, I may have a 4 stroke friend help some. I will post the outcome & verify the issue(s) so you guys know what happend.

Thnaks!! Scoot
Old 10-17-2009, 02:45 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

ive built alot of harleys over the years and ive seen a few of them pipes turn red when the timing is right . found quite a few times one side running real lean. fattin things up and presto.but then again, i use to drink and smoke that stuff alot back in the day!!!lol
Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I know this is a little late in getting back, but I fixed it this last weekend. All it was: There are two jets in there. One of which had flakes of varnish/crap in it. It was just enough to let some fuel go by.... but not much. I assume it was the low circuit jet. Anyways, cleaned it out, re-set the F & A mixture, & it was good to go. Gonna go riding this weekend. Scoot
Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by topsportsman1
Guys think about what you're saying here.If it was lean the pipe would be stone cold.

The cylinder have an over abundance of fuel and its burning it in the pipe.

Meaning its getting too much fuel :wink:

Carb or carbs need to be cleaned,main jet,pilot jet,also the needle and seat valve.
Actually you are thinking wrong not everyone else. Normally when you lean one out the egt's run hotter until you pass peak lean then they drop off also causing the power to fall off. If you start adding fuel your egt's will go down because you can't burn the extra fuel. All this is asuming you start at the correct setting to begin with and since his was running okay when he parked it then yes, a leaner condition would cause the exhaust to run hotter.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

I have had this happen to a lot of equipment that sits over winter (welders, pumps, etc....) before I start tearing things apart I usualy take 1/2 gal of gas & put one big bottle of gumout and run it on that, nine times out of 10 it works.