Engine Rebuilding

Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kod99
If RM, Nyes, Musi, etc. had shops in Canada, it would be an easy choice for me. I would send it out to one of them to be refreshed. My big problem is I have to trust someone elses word on who is good.
There is one guy who was recommended to me. He builds the engines for Ashley Bart's blown alcohol dragster. I would think he could do a good job of putting my engine together.

here is A Great Engine Builder in Canada...his name is Murray....he has shops in the USA and Canada....i ran a 622ci in My vette he Built...

call him Up..

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/9...KIT-800HP.html

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-02-2009, 04:39 PM
onedragracer
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
I've always built my own engines, but have the machining done outside, but i have all the checking/measuring equipment to check anything the machine shop does. I think if you don't have the checking equipment or the knowledge to check the machine work and the clearances, then you should let someone build the engine who does. The only thing i can't check is the balancing, and crank index.

JMO

Zip.
Same here
Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
....{you talking about 500 to 700 assembly fee}-----------------that price won't touch any good shop in my area as far as assembly goes--
i build my own engines and have had some high revving small blocks over 450 horse--i have not built a 20,000 engine but if i had the time i would still try to do my own[ i am just funny that way 8) ]
i think if someone wants to learn -you have to learn somewhere and sometime--all these other engine builders started somewhere :? :? --they just did not wake up and pow--i can build :twisted: :twisted: !!!

sorry guys but i have to go back to the old basics-[money don't buy everything -sometimes hot rods are built at HOME]

LIVELY

Dennis tell me what you know about 10.5 racing ?...you made some statements that leads me to believe you are not too familier with this type racing ?

Not trying to be a smart a$$ just interested to know what you know abiut this type racing.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-02-2009, 04:59 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by bjuice
[i know, i know...running that Fast on 10inch tires at 3,000lbs is No Big deal Anyone could do it ...LMAO...don't let me Discourage you ...go out and Bust it off this weekend and let us Know how easy it was...i hope you can get it there...seriously !!!...if not i know a Good engine Builder you may want to call
In my opinion it is almost an apples to oranges comparison when compairing the average weekend bracket racer's engine to one like yours. Obviously all engines need to be "right" to live, but at the power levels you guys make(especially with power adders) the margin for error is much smaller. Every aspect of that engine must be carefully thought out for them to be able to survive. Not exactly the same thing as a 9 or 10 second bracket engine that is bolted together from a Jegs catalog. So to me it depends on your goals. JMO
lol ...Tod i read the section of My post you chose to highlight to make your comments on......you do know this comment was to Onebadgmc don't you ? Please help me understand how a ( claimed 2100hp) 568+ci 1471 Alcohol Blown Injected BBC is your apples to oranges everyday Bracket engine ?..it may run like one but thats beside the point.....Lol

daym Blown engine is making 800 more hp than Mine ..(per his claim)..somthing ain't adding up is it ?

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/2...-Alky-GMC.html

i took a little part of His add...stating the truck is 3250lbs without driver...How much does oneBadgmc weigh
450 +lbs.......he did tell us the truck weighed 3700+ lbs ...correct ???????

i smell Bullchit !

Gebhardt's Pro Cars full mild steel tube chassis, with Funny Car Cage, and Pro-Mod four link setup. Tubular A-arms (for better street ride), 60" Wheelie Bars. Weight, 3250 with full fuel load, without driver. Last certed for 7.50 as of Dec '05. Updates completed Winter of 08/09 to pass current 7.50 cert
Old 10-02-2009, 05:50 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Engine Rebuilding

I was wondering how many guys rebuild / refresh their own racing engines?
I have rebuilt engines in the past and all has went well. But now I have a 950 HP BBC and was wondering if can do the work myself (except the machining, of course).
SEE BRIAN --THE POST STARTED AS A REFRESHING ??? NOT HOW TO BUILD, RUN, AND MAINTAIN A 10.5 CAR
MY POINT AND OTHERS ON HERE ARE THAT EVERYBODY STARTED SOMEWHERE AS FAR AS BUILDING ENGINES/ TRANS/ REARENDS/BODIES/FRAMES ETC.
BY ALL MEANS IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND THEN LET IT BE OUTSOURCED[THAT IS THE AMERICAN WAY!!]
AS FOR THE GRASSROOT RACERS -WE HAVE LEARNED TO DO IT OURSELVES AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
I DO NOT CLAIM TO KNOW IT ALL BUT I AIN'T STUPID OR AFRAID TO LEARN HOW TO DO THINGS NEW
I DO NOT DO THE MACHINE WORK ON MY BUILDS BECAUSE I TRUST THAT TO A SHOP THAT HAS THE RIGHT TOOLS BUT I BUILD MY OWN UNITS/I BUILD MY CAGES BUT HAVE A PRO WELD THEM[I LIKE FOR MY BRAINS TO STAY IN MY HEAD 8) ]

SORRY IF UPSET THE CART ops: :? 8) :cry: :wink: BUT I HAVE BEEN RAISED AND TAUGHT TO DO IT YOURSELF AND LEARN TO DO IT RIGHT :idea: :idea: AND I HAVE BEEN AROUND ALOOOOOOONG TIME

LIVELY
Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Engine Rebuilding

Originally Posted by lively
I was wondering how many guys rebuild / refresh their own racing engines?
I have rebuilt engines in the past and all has went well. But now I have a 950 HP BBC and was wondering if can do the work myself (except the machining, of course).
SEE BRIAN --THE POST STARTED AS A REFRESHING ??? NOT HOW TO BUILD, RUN, AND MAINTAIN A 10.5 CAR
MY POINT AND OTHERS ON HERE ARE THAT EVERYBODY STARTED SOMEWHERE AS FAR AS BUILDING ENGINES/ TRANS/ REARENDS/BODIES/FRAMES ETC.
BY ALL MEANS IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND THEN LET IT BE OUTSOURCED[THAT IS THE AMERICAN WAY!!]
AS FOR THE GRASSROOT RACERS -WE HAVE LEARNED TO DO IT OURSELVES AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
I DO NOT CLAIM TO KNOW IT ALL BUT I AIN'T STUPID OR AFRAID TO LEARN HOW TO DO THINGS NEW
I DO NOT DO THE MACHINE WORK ON MY BUILDS BECAUSE I TRUST THAT TO A SHOP THAT HAS THE RIGHT TOOLS BUT I BUILD MY OWN UNITS/I BUILD MY CAGES BUT HAVE A PRO WELD THEM[I LIKE FOR MY BRAINS TO STAY IN MY HEAD 8) ]

SORRY IF UPSET THE CART ops: :? 8) :cry: :wink: BUT I HAVE BEEN RAISED AND TAUGHT TO DO IT YOURSELF AND LEARN TO DO IT RIGHT :idea: :idea: AND I HAVE BEEN AROUND ALOOOOOOONG TIME

LIVELY
I totally get that Lively..and i agree with how the post started out...and if you will read my 1st reply i gave to KOD99 i gave him my Opinion that was ON POINT with his Question....

Then Onebadgmc tried to jump on my case and talk Chit to me like he does to other people on here..hell he even speaks of how glad he is a man is dead..i mean WTF !!! that dog won't hunt with me lively :twisted: ....

Now i done proved some inconsistancy's with some stories he told about his Truck...

You didn't upset the Cart my Friend..our Pal GMC Tore this up !!!

One thing for sure you know with me ..if i say it ! i can prove it !!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
[i know, i know...running that Fast on 10inch tires at 3,000lbs is No Big deal Anyone could do it ...LMAO...don't let me Discourage you ...go out and Bust it off this weekend and let us Know how easy it was...i hope you can get it there...seriously !!!...if not i know a Good engine Builder you may want to call
In my opinion it is almost an apples to oranges comparison when compairing the average weekend bracket racer's engine to one like yours. Obviously all engines need to be "right" to live, but at the power levels you guys make(especially with power adders) the margin for error is much smaller. Every aspect of that engine must be carefully thought out for them to be able to survive. Not exactly the same thing as a 9 or 10 second bracket engine that is bolted together from a Jegs catalog. So to me it depends on your goals. JMO
lol ...Tod i read the section of My post you chose to highlight to make your comments on......you do know this comment was to Onebadgmc don't you ? Please help me understand how a ( claimed 2100hp) 568+ci 1471 Alcohol Blown Injected BBC is your apples to oranges everyday Bracket engine ?..it may run like one but thats beside the point.....Lol

daym Blown engine is making 800 more hp than Mine ..(per his claim)..somthing ain't adding up is it ?

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/2...-Alky-GMC.html

i took a little part of His add...stating the truck is 3250lbs without driver...How much does oneBadgmc weigh
450 +lbs.......he did tell us the truck weighed 3700+ lbs ...correct ???????

i smell Bullchit !

Gebhardt's Pro Cars full mild steel tube chassis, with Funny Car Cage, and Pro-Mod four link setup. Tubular A-arms (for better street ride), 60" Wheelie Bars. Weight, 3250 with full fuel load, without driver. Last certed for 7.50 as of Dec '05. Updates completed Winter of 08/09 to pass current 7.50 cert
Yeah I knew you were talking to ONEBADGMC. I picked the wrong post of yours to quote to make my point...sorry for the confusion.My comennt had nothing to do with WJ Birmingham.. I wasn't really commenting on what was said between the two of you.I was commenting more on YOUR car and the level you are at. I probably shouldn't have quoted that part of your post but rather the other post where you mentioned the 4.70 E.T'S.....

I simply meant that to run at the level you are at takes FAR more know how and attention to detail than it does to do what many of us do...Those who buy off the shelf parts and bolt them together in our garage to run weekend bracket races. If I were trying to go that fast or be competitive in a class like you run,then a pro builder would be the way to go as I don't know enough to build an engine like that.I also wasn't disagreeing with using a PRO even for bracket racing. I think if you can afford it it's the smart move.I just like doing mine myself as it's a learning experience and I like the satisfaction of putting it together myself.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Rebuilding

I build my own engines as it is cheaper and I have faith in my abilities. If I had a high dollar engine, I would bring it to a professional. I have the tools to measure and torque the engine, so my low buck engines are not a problem. How many of you people that build your own are confident in your tools? I am a calibration technician and my tools are all calibrated. If I measure the journal on a crankshaft, I know that the measurement is accurate. My torque wrench is also calibrated. Having equipment that doesn't give you accurate readings is useless. Even if you know what you are doing, without the correct and accurate tools, you are taking a chance. That is why I would trust a professional, but I would check on his ability to make good measurements. JMO.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:06 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Rebuilding

Originally Posted by fla1976
I build my own engines as it is cheaper and I have faith in my abilities. If I had a high dollar engine, I would bring it to a professional. I have the tools to measure and torque the engine, so my low buck engines are not a problem. How many of you people that build your own are confident in your tools? I am a calibration technician and my tools are all calibrated. If I measure the journal on a crankshaft, I know that the measurement is accurate. My torque wrench is also calibrated. Having equipment that doesn't give you accurate readings is useless. Even if you know what you are doing, without the correct and accurate tools, you are taking a chance. That is why I would trust a professional, but I would check on his ability to make good measurements. JMO.
Where do you take your tools to be calibrated? I got ta torque wrench that needs to be calibrated and dont know where to take it.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Tools

If you have a SnapOn or Mac tool salesman in you area , thay can usually provide the service. You can also check the Yellow Pages in your area under calibration services.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -