help with lean carb.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by sst4356
I was told that 200 jets is the max jets that stock metering plates flow. yes that is the same part no. that I have . it also gains heat thru the run also, leave at 140 degrees 180 at finish line 1/8 mile. before you say not enough rad. ok with apd carb.
Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong to me. In fact, it sounds too cold. I like to see around 210 crossing the line (whether 1/8 or 1/4).
Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

210 can I ask why ?

I go into the burnout @ 165 and am 175 when i get back to the trailer, I just the car off and fuel it and ready to go for next round. If i were to get it to 210 I'd never make next round without being to warm.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
210 can I ask why ?

I go into the burnout @ 165 and am 175 when i get back to the trailer, I just the car off and fuel it and ready to go for next round. If i were to get it to 210 I'd never make next round without being to warm.
It has always had a better et at the higher temperature.

I run an electric water pump and fan, so cooling it isn't an issue. If I'm under pressure between rounds, we simply use a bug sprayer on the radiator while the pump/fan is on.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 PM
sst4356
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for everybodys in put . I think hammertime is right it needs to go to apd.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for everybodys in put . I think hammertime is right it needs to go to apd.
Its amazing what Randy can do with a carb !! I was totally amazed when I stepped in the shop and seen all the carbs and all the brands. I've known several people who have switched from good carbs to apd and only 1 of them didnt like it, but he didnt give it much of a chance either.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:36 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: help with lean carb.

ok here is my problem other than not having enough cash to buy a apd carb. Iam running a 1050 hp holly carb. on alcohol . 540 inch BB chevy. and it is way lean even with 200 jets. is there any way I can fatten up this carb.
Have you changed the air bleeds ?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

It is my experiance that when the engine gets too much alcohol it runs hot, if you pull fuel back the engine gets colder. It is an oxigenated fuel. It works almost opposite of race fuel.
If one carb is working and another of the same size is not then as the other guy stated, you need to change the main air bleed to the venturi's
remember the smaller the air bleed the more fuel you will flow. ( siphon effect ) do youself a favor and get a egt sensor and guage installed.
you can tune and figure a bench mark wide open 1200 degrees. thats what we run at. Be carefull to not have too much alcohol cause it will start to burn in the header and show a hotter temp.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
oncearacer52
SHOW GUEST

Do yourself a big favor and get some type of O2 analizer. It will tell you exactly where it is going lean and you will be able to immediately see what effect any changes you make are. Spend the money ($100 and up). I have an Altronics that I gave $450.00 for and it will make an induction expert out of you in no time. One con is tho at idle your reading may not be true.