motor mounts?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM
hotrod1024
MASTER BUILDER

Default motor mounts?

When i got my 68 Firebird it had a sbc bolted in the frame with a 2x4 holding trans up.Since motor has been pulled and rebuilt i have put it back in.I bought a trans crossmember for a 68 camaro for a chevy th350.When installing crossmember engine and trans appear to need to be moved back 1-2 inches for trans mount to line up with crossmember.Research I have done seems to be that I do have right motor mounts,but it looks like if i swap from side to side it might work as mounts appear to kick motor forward a little.It looks like if i swap mounts it will then move motor and trans back.My question I have is,is it possible motor mounts on frame were mounted on wrong side when i got the car.Is it possible to put them on wrong but still bolt to frame?Thanks for any info.Randy.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Some motor mounts are offset 1" in the 60's. Don't know for sure about the firebird, but the Nova's definately were offset 1" (shorter on the passenger side) to offset the weight of the driver. I once built a set of headers with the mounts on the wrong side and i had a bitch of a time clearing the chassis once i had installed them right. (66 nova involved)

Zip.