powerglide with jw case

Old 05-16-2007, 05:35 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Default powerglide with jw case

just installed a jw case and bellhousing on my glide but left the stock tail house shaft.....my guy installed the gasket from the after market tailhouse shaft and not the stock gasket....my question is what can be affected by doing this...i tried running the car and the trans brake would not work and when u but it in reverse u had to rev it up to get it to go into reverse also when u shifted to second gear it would not go u would have to take your foot off the gas pedal and wait over a second before it would shift......would the wrong gasket affect all of the above problems.......thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Are you speaking of the governor support and gasket along with the tailhousing? Some of the older transmissions had rear pump gears in the governor support. These had to have a plate made to block off the main feed coming back to the governor, but with the JW case I don't think this would be the case.
It does sound like you do have a major internal leak causing the pressure to be low or the roll pin has come out of the relief valve in the front pump. The main pressure can be checked at the plug on the servo cover.

Bill M
Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Yes i am talking about the gasket under the rear tail house shaft housing....he showed me the gasket he installed ..he told me he is use to glides with after market tail house shaft and isntalled that gasket thinking it shouldn't affect anything...but i would say it does affect something...i was looking at the stock gasket and the one he installed and there is alot of diffrence as far as holes and placement......the tranny is out of the car and he has it now......but he hasn't looked at it yet........so i am curious on what the problems could be that is why i am asking you fellows
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

think we found the problem as the torque had a burr in it and tore out the front seal and the babbit seal on the front pump
Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

I would look a little farther, because that sounds more like the effect instead of the cause. Lack of oil pressure could cause the babbit to gaul and a problem with engagement on the front pump gears could cause the burr. Usually, if there is any problem with the front seal they will leak all over the floor, just because of the fluid draining out of the converter.

Bill M
Old 05-18-2007, 07:06 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

had to file the burr off the convertor and in the babbit seal u can see the line inward and outward from putting in the converotr and taking it out and all the scars in a circle from turning with the burr
Old 06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

ran the car last weekend and everything works fine except the transbrake is slow takes over a seond to engage........looks like tranny will have to come out again and install a longer plunger
Old 02-10-2008, 02:43 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

I guess i forgot to update this post and thanks everybody for thier help.....over the year i eneded up pulling the tranny 6 times to find out the problem as my tranny guy would not believe that the problem was the valvebody and tried everything else first.......i installed a new valvebody and all my problems are fixed............thanks again
Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 PM
ML3885
SHOW GUEST

Default tranny

sounds like you need a new tranny guy.