Axel Help

Old 05-23-2010, 07:41 PM
wvhippie
MASTER BUILDER

Default Axel Help

How long would the axels need to be for a 9in rear that is 38in from flange to flange? :?:
Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

need more info.... are you meaning housing flange or axle flange?
it depends on your pinion offset, and what type of brakes you are using, assuming your pinion has a zero offset, and you are using early large bearings with brake space of 2.365".......your axle lengths will be 23" on the pass side. 18.64" on the drivers if you have a housing that is 38"
The axles will be 20.44" and 16.06" if it is 38" from axle flange to axle flange.

cam67152
Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Need more info x2

Need to know if pinion is centered or if its off center and if so how much? Not everyones narrowing skills are up to par.

Are you referring to the axle flange where the wheel goes or the housing flange where the backing plate would bolt?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM
wvhippie
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks for the info guys. The measurments are form the flange where the backing plates bolt. I dont know about the pinion offset. I didnt Narrow the rear. I took it in on trade and have it for sale. Someone who is interested in it wanted to know about the axel length. I will pass on the info. I think he already has some axels that he would like to reuse. My advice would be take to a rear end shop and let them fit it with correct axels. Again thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Even thou we dont know if your axle is pinion centered and we dont have a clue what his axles are.... If you want some crazy idea that they fit, have him lay his two axles on the ground and leave about 1" between them where they would go in the spool. He can measure roughly the width of axle he needs.

This is not at all the way to do it, but may give you two a idea