oversize lifters in a BBC

Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hink
We machine alot of the .904 lifter bores in both SBC and BBC and rarely do we install bushings when going to the larger lifter bores.
Hey Carl,
I'm thinking about trading some sm/blk stuff for a 4.625 bore Donovan T'deck Chevy Alum blk. there are some issues with the lifter bores, having never been bushed. I can do this procedure, the question is would you go to bronze or cast iron on this Alum blk? and can i go to the .904's or just bush them back to .842's.
It would be an alcohol injected motor.

Zip.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:37 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by hink
We machine alot of the .904 lifter bores in both SBC and BBC and rarely do we install bushings when going to the larger lifter bores.
Hey Carl,
I'm thinking about trading some sm/blk stuff for a 4.625 bore Donovan T'deck Chevy Alum blk. there are some issues with the lifter bores, having never been bushed. I can do this procedure, the question is would you go to bronze or cast iron on this Alum blk? and can i go to the .904's or just bush them back to .842's.
It would be an alcohol injected motor.

Zip.
Zip

If you are going to the .904 just machine lifter bores out to the proper size as we have to blower engines that are using Jesel .904 roller lifters and we run 1250 over the nose and 460 at the seat and no issues and no bushings.

The only time we bush lifter bores is when a rule requires stock size lifter bores but the customer wants the lifter bores blue printed.