shut down procedure

Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Saw a Maerick hit reverse at the end of the run and that car was a total wreck. Not worth the risk.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by TS1955
no way will I ever put a car in N ... I've witnessed more people loose the car and worse get hurt by doing this.

It may be easier on things to some but I have no issues not doing it .. just a risk I am not willing to take.
Hey David,
You've got me couriuos about this...Please explain. Thanks

TS1955
Sometimes its easy to find reverse .. I seen this happen at norwalks ten grand nationals this year, it took out 2 cars both drivers were ok. I seen a TS car last year roll 10-12 times and go into flames he had minor burns. I seen a brand new dragster go to the scrap from this also. No sense is risking injury to yourself or others, accidents do happen.
I see your point and I understand it...But my shifter has a reverse lockout and also I would have to push my trans brake button also to activate reverse. Was all of the accident you describe due to hitting reverse instead of nuetral? And Thanks for your response. Please don't think that I'm nit-picking...I'm just always trying to learn.

TS1955
Old 12-21-2009, 02:46 PM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

I knew a guy that exploded his trans and split the case and flipped the majority of his trans upside down from going to neutral at the stripe
Im told when you go to neutral at high speed, you start driveing the planetary or something diifferantly at a hi rate of speed and then it explodes.Or something to that affect.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gnsrule
I knew a guy that exploded his trans and split the case and flipped the majority of his trans upside down from going to neutral at the stripe
Im told when you go to neutral at high speed, you start driveing the planetary or something diifferantly at a hi rate of speed and then it explodes.Or something to that affect.
I read in another thread this will happen with a th400
Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

I posted a link to that thread a few post back up the page
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=10286
Old 12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I have seen a lot of stupid accidents caused by people going for neutral. I have seen the reverse lock out fail and send the car into reverse. I have seen guys put it in neutral and bump a button or hit a toggle switch wired for reverse back up when reaching for another switch. I have seen guys explode turbo 400's going to neutral. It's not worth it, not a safe practice and can put you and the other driver at risk.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

no way will I ever put a car in N ... I've witnessed more people loose the car and worse get hurt by doing this.

It may be easier on things to some but I have no issues not doing it .. just a risk I am not willing to take.
Hey David,
You've got me couriuos about this...Please explain. Thanks

TS1955
Sometimes its easy to find reverse .. I seen this happen at norwalks ten grand nationals this year, it took out 2 cars both drivers were ok. I seen a TS car last year roll 10-12 times and go into flames he had minor burns. I seen a brand new dragster go to the scrap from this also. No sense is risking injury to yourself or others, accidents do happen.
I see your point and I understand it...But my shifter has a reverse lockout and also I would have to push my trans brake button also to activate reverse. Was all of the accident you describe due to hitting reverse instead of nuetral? And Thanks for your response. Please don't think that I'm nit-picking...I'm just always trying to learn.

TS1955
Dont worry I knew you werent picking

The ones I have seen do this have had reverse lockouts and they slide right on by them, some shifters are very easy to do this some other not so easy. Stupid things can happens thats why they are accidents, just my thoughts are never take the chance.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I have been knocking in neutral from 7.50's down to 4.90's (personally)...Got Friends knocking in neutral down to 4.20's ( door cars)..never a problem. i been going to the track for nearly 30 years and Never saw an accident caused by someone going into Neutral or any trannys explode for knocking in neutral.. :shock: ....but i have seen some screw ups by people getting on the transbrake Button crossing the stripe because it was located where it shouldn't have been....but on the Flip side i can see why someone would leave it in High Gear . No issues with me either way...whatever works for you

now if your running a mechanical fuel pump on blown applications..we are talking another story..
Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Leave in high gear untill I round the corner to the return road.Its alot safer that way. :wink:
Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by topsportsman1
Leave in high gear untill I round the corner to the return road.Its alot safer that way. :wink:

hey i am glad you got that Daayyymmm avatar back up...i was begining to think you sold out to Snowmobiles for good........lol

i can see it Now...Tom in the 'x" games..... :shock:

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -