Cam flat brand new 50 miles ???

Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I does seem like we hear of cam wiping more these days... every article I read always promotes the Zinc too. I run it; as an additive, just to make sure. I don't know- even one of my neighbors had one in a mild SBC crate motor do that.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:00 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I know we have been over this break in topic a couple of times.
1. Use zinc additive
2. Install outer springs only
3. Use reduced ratio rocker arms
4. Run 2000 to 2500 rpm, back and forth for first 30 minutes. These cams lube by the splash and changing rpm's moves the pattern around.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
ajk
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by oldandtired
1. Use zinc additive
4. Run 2000 to 2500 rpm, back and forth for first 30 minutes. These cams lube by the splash and changing rpm's moves the pattern around.
X2 i do all of the above and as it cools after break in i bump the motor over several times (every 5min or so) just to be sure there are no hot spots.May be a little overboard but never had a bad ending yet.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Break in great ideas

Old and tired
Those are great ideas. I will be honest I have not heard those ideas,but they make sense. The zinc I have done but the outer springs and rocker ratio is a cool/great idea
Thanks
jeff
Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have never broken one in properly with the fast idle or any of that. I keep it at a fast idle just until it gets warm enough to idle with no choke then I set the timing and adjust the carb. must have just been lucky or the oil really was better then. Haven't ran a flat tappet in mine since mid 1990's though.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:33 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Not many people running the flat tappets anymore, but some of the circle people are restricted too them, but the oil is the major reason, they all add zinc on every oil change and break them in with lower ratio rocker arms, atleast the one's that i know do.

Zip.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:49 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by oldandtired
1. Use zinc additive
I forgot a very important item.
Always use the direct lube lifter. It has a .021 to .024 hole thru the bottom, forcing oil right on the face of the cam.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default this is info my buddy will give lunati info cam

Thanks for the feedback.
Here is the info we got valve spring pressure open was 350, closed was 124, spring height 1.90 3 oz of zinc additive also comp zinc oil additve and zinc on the cam about 70 dollars worth of zinc additve. My buddy will call Lunati (jeff) and see what can be done.
The thing about this is he has used Lunati stuff on the his SBC and the 427 BBC. I hope this turns out Ok
Old 11-06-2010, 01:58 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default cam flat

Best additive I have found is just called ZDDP. It comes in a 6 oz size and cost less than $10.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:49 PM
jaxsmith
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I yall dont like the oil we have today just wait. The newest spec for all the majors is GF-5 and it will be rolling out very soon. the trend is lower viscosity and less anti wear. All new engines made today are roller everything and to be honest with you they dont care about the guy with the 40 year old technology flat tappet or hydraulic flat tappet cam. Bite the bullet now and go to a hydraulic roller or your problems will never go away.

If you take into account rebuilds and expensive oil additives a hydraulic roller is not that expensive. I have yet to have seen a lost cam lobe that didnt put metal all through the system and not eat up parts.

The guys that are in trouble are the guys with class restrictions that have spec cams.

All oils are changing and unless you find some that has been sitting for 10 years your in trouble. If you do find some it has an expired shelf life and the good stuff has most likely fallen out of the blend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -