injected alcohol timing

Old 06-20-2008, 04:31 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by demented
As far as timing is concerned 45 degrees on alcohol is not unheard of but its rare. I would tend to think that there is somthing wrong, maybe pointer, maybe cam timing, wrong converter. What is your convertor rated for.

The guys were right about the timing lights too. There has been may problems linked back to timing lights. I had a problem with one just recently. Drove me nuts.

I have 4.88's in my car as well with 44's on the rear and its 1-1 thru a chaindrive to the front. I have a 5600 stall converter and I turn my 632 to 8000 using only first and second gear. I don't think that the gears are your problem.

Fred are you running a 3 speed tranny or a Powerglide?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:53 AM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

TH 400. I love the combo. Why do you think I need a gear change. Always open to suggestions.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:44 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

No your probably really close, but the poster, Isaac, is running a powerglide and his gear ratio is way too high unless he is running 1/8 mile. :wink: With a powerglide he needs more gear. in low gear with a 1.76 glide he has a 8.59 final ratio, you with a th400 have a 12.10 in low gear, then you shift to second and that gives you a 7.22, so imagine you trying to start in 2nd gear, you would have too high a ratio. Not trying tto argue just showing the difference with a powerglide and 3 spd.

I have ran as low as 7.33 gear with a 1.80 planetary, (13.19 final ratio in low) with awesome results on short tracks, but the pinion was too small to handle the power, about 5 passes and it broke.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

By the way are you going to that race in NY tomorrow, if so good luck.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

Sorry :cry: didn't see that we were talking glides. Yeah that would be to high of a gear. Not a fan of powerglides. I like the three speeds they seem to keep the motor in the powerband better.

Yeah, I'm going to the schaticoke N.Y. race. I live an hour from the track so I'm as good as there. Car's in the trailer, and the trailers with me at work, so , I'm off like a prom dress :shock: .

I'll post some results later on www.mudracersassociation.com
Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Isaacm8803
SHOW GUEST

Thanks alot guys. You have given me alot of useful info. I'm gonna try timing it with a different light, but the motor sounds really good and crisp so I don't think there is anything seriously wrong. I took it out lastnight and whacked it one time with a 350 shot of nos and it really came to life compared to what it was doing without it. So with a little more tuning and a gear change I may accidentaly get it to run. To answer your ques, the inj. is not new but good vibes out in Cali told me that i should start with 34-36 flowed nozzles with a 120 main and the converter is a 5600 turbo converter. Thanks again
Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 AM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

Sounds like the fuel system is right. Still might be a touch rich but real close. Good vibes are good people they do know there sh1t. Double check your timing with a different light but the best think to do would be to verify your timing marks first.

Also if the motor was built for nitrous it will be sluggish without nitrous so keep that in mind.