Fuel stink ?

Old 09-23-2007, 06:00 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by margaritaman
Carl, Have you adjusted the "idle-eze?"

http://www.competitionplus.com/04_15..._idle_eze.html

If I can get mine to idle with two Demons at 950 rpm using the idle-eze screw then so can you. Mixture at idle is ~ 13.2:1

Thanks Jeff, I had forgotten about the idle-eze.
I got in such a hurry and did read about it, but I forgot....duh.

I will try adjusting it today.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 AM
margaritaman
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
WOW !!..that show queen is THUMPING at 632 @ 111 mph...very impressive for a car that looks and drives like it does..my hats off to you !!!
Thanks Brian. It was a long journey, but the outcome was worth the wait. Of Course now it will only get faster.

Carl, you should be able to introduce enough air into the motor with the idle eze to lean it out.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM
margaritaman
JUNIOR BUILDER

Carl, I sent you a couple emails too, but for those suffering from Demon demons I'll post it here too.

To open the idle-eze turn the screw counter clockwise. But first turn it clockwise until it bottoms out. Then turn it 1.5 to 2 turns counter clockwise which should give you a decent baseline.

Another thought is your initial advance. Demons love initial advance to the tune of 18-20 degrees. I don't remember what you were doing for an ignition system, but if its an MSD distributor its as easy as running the initial up to 18 and then place the appropriate colored bushing in the distributor to limit your mechanical advance.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks Jeff,

good info all the way around.

I will put a timing light on it this afternoon.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Well you didn;'t say which Demon 750 cfm you have but to my way of thinking those jets are far too rich for any of the 750 's I know about.

Ed
Old 09-23-2007, 01:46 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
Well you didn;'t say which Demon 750 cfm you have but to my way of thinking those jets are far too rich for any of the 750 's I know about.

Ed
Ed it is the speed demon mech secondaries.
I could jet it down some.

What would be a good suggestion?
My holley had 70 78's and it seemed to starve for fuel on the top end.

Maybe 70 front and 80 rear?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Carl my wifes 406 is making about what yours makes...i have a 750 holley on hers and i run it 74 square...

the best way to make jet changes is 1 size no more then 2 jet sizes at a time..outside of the obvious ( sitting still reaping raw fuel).....when you make a pass at full throttle..kick it into neutral and kill the car at the end of the track..if someone can towe you back great.. or you have a spot you can pull over on the end of the return road to where you can pull out a few plugs and see how they look.....never drive back to pits and try to check them..the drive back will distort the plugs from their true reading at WOT......

if the plugs are black and sooty ( wet looking) then you know right off hand your too fat ...and work back from there...

i wasn't trying to butt in too much and dominate the reponses..but it sounded to me from post one it was over jetted..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks Brian,

I was wondering, but see some guys running 72-80 etc and was under the impression that I was in the ballpark.
But it was info from a source that I have found less than knowledgable.
Meridian auto in Meridian Idaho to be exact, I would not let them work on my lawnmower from what I know now.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:26 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I hear ya..at least all that was hurt was maybe a few fouled out plugs..you can always get away with being too fat..but the too lean will make you pay the fiddler...lol

seriously..the air is a little different ( a-lot) different out where you are from...so if i were in your shoes..i would start out very conservative...say
74/79 and see how it acts sitting there idling...you can always lean it out more if you need it..you should find a little crisper throttle response as you lean her out...like i said go 1 no more then 2 jet sizes at one time...
also in the winter you may need to fatten it back up but again 1 no more then 2 jet sizes..
i personally think your about 5 to 6 jet sizes to large on the rear..if not more..but just slowly tinker with it..it will tell you when its right..if your looking at the plugs etc.....oh yeah you can buy those jet kits from ADVANCE OR AUTO ZONE reasonable..will have all the jet sizes you need for that 750

if you haven't bought you a HVH SUPER SUCKER yet please get you one..you can really tell the difference ..get the 2 inch aluminum..the plastic is not recommended for cars seeing a little street use..(could melt)..its also at a good time for one for you cause you may have to richen your jets when installing these bad boys cause it increases air flow. ( if your jetting was right to begin with)..try it you'll be very pleased for the money spent...

also where ya got your timing set ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

I talked with a guy by the name of Compton tonight.
He spent about 15 years with Edelbrock in R&D and now has a performance shop here in town.

He is going to do a performance tune on the car for me.

Once he gets it dialed in he is going to show me how to tune it correctly. I keep missing the boat...lol

I hear ya about to lean...seen a few engines go by-by that way.

The Super-Sucker will have to wait until I can get a good 4" cowl hood.
I already put a nice ding in my hood from the air cleaner stud when the engine torqued over.

I have less than 2 inches of clearence.
I have the change slated for next spring. and will add the super sucker then.
I have already looked at the aluminum ones and they look bad ass...

for about $100.00

Thanks again to you and everyone for the help.

I really am trying to do a lot more myself, but when I get this confused it's time to let a pro take over.
Once I get it learned, re-learned, then no sweat, but I have to see, feel, and do it once before I commit it to memory...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -