hot heders

Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 PM
poseyracing
SHOW GUEST

Default hot heders

:twisted: I've got a new motor: Dart 406,blower pistons,Edelbrock Victor Junior 70cc heads,Comp hydraulic cam,507/525 lift and 284/305 duration. BDS 671 blower 5% underdrive with BG 650 blower carbs. Hooker super comp coated headers. Fuel system is all new with high $$ pump and -10 line to the regulator,-8 lines to the carbs.
On initial fire up it had the headers glowing in about a minute while breaking the cam in. I changed the jets to 76/80 and installed a pyrometer. On the next try, about a minute after cranking the temp was 900 at idle and about a minute later the exhaust temp was 1150 at fast idle. Checked the headers and they were glowing again. Any thoughts??
Thanks, Pat Posey
Old 05-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Was that with open headers,or with an exhast system after headers?? tell me more!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

check the timing the fuel is still burning when the exh valve is opening. you can stop the glow by advancing the timing. the best way to run it is with the dist lock at around 36deg and use a boost retarder to pull timing out as it makes boost. start with pulling 1 1/2-2deg per psi of boost and work down from there. you have alot of main jet in it to check the plugs more then likely there very black.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

check the timing the fuel is still burning when the exh valve is opening. you can stop the glow by advancing the timing. the best way to run it is with the dist lock at around 36deg and use a boost retarder to pull timing out as it makes boost. start with pulling 1 1/2-2deg per psi of boost and work down from there. you have alot of main jet in it to check the plugs more then likely there very black
Good information.

For future reference;
On initial fire-up try to set initial to at least 20 degrees BTDC. You can adjust it later. That should solve the hot header disease.

Ed