Attention Engine Builders

Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 AM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Attention Engine Builders

I don't understand why the definition of Customer service has changed so much in the last several years.I've been racing for several years and finding someone that does quality work in a timely manner and staying in contact with their customer,not everyday is required,is almost impossible to find.I don't want a message sent to facebook or even a text message,I would like a phone call.Time goes by and I have not received a call so we contact the shop via phone and no answer.Example,I had one of my engines built with all new parts and it took the builder 1.5 years to finish.The engine goes to a different shop to be freshened,375 runs later, and it takes almost four months.The engine only lasted 20 runs and it spins a bearing and breaks lots of parts.We are missing races,and have a big race coming up soon and just keep getting told it will be done soon.These are small shops,not big shops.My questions,is this normal,do you racers have similar problems with your builders?

Last edited by et7333; 05-19-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

Yes and no.

I only take my stuff to a machine shop I already know some of the customers that are satisfied. I also get a timetable set up, usually 30 days max. If they can't commit to that, I don't leave my stuff. I also get a signed receipt for all parts delivered with a value assigned to each part. If the place burns down, I want the shops insurance to p[ay off.

Also I do not trust any machine shop to do final assembly. I believe a machine shop and a blue print expert are 2 separate things. Assembly is where some machine shops drop the ball as far as meeting a reasonable timetable.

If a machine shop is full of parts that appear to have been there a while or if it is unorganized, that's a red flag to me.

If you need work done in central Indiana or Illinois, PM me.