nitrious

Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hotrod1994
so no spray i got that part thanks it was just an idea id have to run a high gear instead of my 4.88 and pick up a nitrous converter anyway. i never siad i didn't like the answer!! i take all the info i get from you guys and put it to good use

yeah racing is the rich mans game but im out to prove the broke guys that build cars put of their single car garage can hang with the guys with tens of thousands of dollars. my dad and uncles did it and im gonna do the same regardless of who tells me different
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like an ass. ops: ops: After I read what I wrote it could have come out much better. I myself don't believe racing is a rich man's game, it just depends on how fast you want to go. The more you can do yourself the faster you can go on the same dollar. Heck, I am on the lowest rung of the racing ladder being just a bracket racer in an ugly old roadster. I mostly just don't want the few new racers we get lately to make mistakes that cost them everything and have to quit racing. Good luck with your build, we need all the new blood we can get.

Here is my old junk.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I started out 30 years ago street racing..then was introduced to round track, Kart open wheel...you had two type racers those who showed up and rode in the rear and those who showed to win. NOTHING wrong with either.

It depends on the type racing you choose...you can go local bracket racing with a 4 banger 1992 toy celica..some do the same type racing with 4 second 100k rails

My last race over Saturday/Sunday cost me $1300. ( tires included) u gotta have new tires after a weekend race in these 10.5 cars..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 AM
chevynovaman
SENIOR BUILDER

[quote="hotrod1994"]my pops had a 70 nova that was street car back in the 70's that ran 10:50's uncle had a 67 chevelle that went 10:70's both with bbc and on a budget all three of my uncles that were into cars had sub 10 second cars and its just a matter of time before i do the same

Wow,
10.50's in the 1970's would put you close or on a world record street car of that era, not alot of aftermarket parts and heads like today. also convertors and slicks have come along way since then and even now days is not the easiest to hit 10.50's in a real street driven car with no trans brake and nos, no race fuel, full exhaust and be reliable.

I would say any engine in good shape will handle 100 shot no problem.
Put a couple gallons of turbo blue in it if your worried about detnation..
Old 07-16-2013, 12:34 PM
hotrod1994
EXPERT BUILDER

its all good curtisreed, im on my way of learning how to do it all now, thanks
you are right!! we need all the blood we can get its hard to find kids my age that are into old school power now there all hopped up on the rice rockets and laptops

well pops was 19/20 and he was born 1955 so late 70's it was a 402 bbc 13.5:1 (ive got one of the spare pistons he had hanging on the wall) rectangular port heads not sure of the cam he ram a tunnel ram with 2 660 center squirters m22 and a 12 bolt with 5:13's out back he never lost on the street 10.55 was his best time at 128 mph at the track he might still have the time slip ill have to ask him
Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

you are right!! we need all the blood we can get its hard to find kids my age that are into old school power now there all hopped up on the rice rockets and laptops

well pops was 19/20 and he was born 1955 so late 70's it was a 402 bbc 13.5:1 (ive got one of the spare pistons he had hanging on the wall) rectangular port heads not sure of the cam he ram a tunnel ram with 2 660 center squirters m22 and a 12 bolt with 5:13's out back he never lost on the street 10.55 was his best time at 128 mph at the track he might still have the time slip ill have to ask him
That's a BAD machine in the 70's for sure...I like it...

Start with removing the crash bars in the doors and front bumper..tubular cross member kit is a must for the year car you have. not only does it save weight but will also allow a full length oil pan and larger primary headers... Now remember when you get to trimming that pig down understand where you need to lose the weight from jump street...start with doors forward. they have a heavy back glass but don't be so quick to yank that out until all other is shaved down .It's where you want the weight if you have it. I owned a 87 that was built by k-town performance as a promo car for Comp cams..it ran 5.0's at 137mph with a 615ci with a ton of spray. With a 406ci SBC 590HP 550TQ it ran best 6.35 @ 111 mph hitting it hard on the brake ( no nitrous ). I wanted to show you the et difference on the two types engines...this is why I have pointed you to be creative in lightening her up.. once you get her slimmed down then work on getting all you can from your power plant. 8)

I would think most here would agree.. just to let you know although I own a 10.5 Outlaw car...My heart is and has always been with the un-cut street cars. The older I get the more I go back...I currently have a real 73 z 28 Camaro with 6 speed..I would say if I can get it to hook decent and get thru 3rd gear it might be a 7.70-7.80 car..its got s 3.08 gear...also have a 69 Camaro x-11car...4 speed its a 7.20 et car..I have posted this # in the 69..

both cars un-molested and they have NOT been placed on any kind of diet..but understand I am not looking to reach any low et's in either car.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM
hotrod1994
EXPERT BUILDER

nice!! thanks for all the info bjuice!!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:52 PM
chevynovaman
SENIOR BUILDER

sounds like he had a good combo.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Ok I am gonna say this and then shut up. Lol...

If you wanna run 9.80s -9.90s on motor taking out guess work ( R@D) in your year camaro here it is.. This may sound like a lot of money up front but in the big picture its not....here it is.

A PAR built standard deck 565ci with 3x oval port heads..makes 1200 hp and 1000 TQ and will live forever with regular minimum maintenance. Scott Duggins takes in these 565's he has built for people trading up to larger Ci...I have seen him turn them back out fresh for $8,500..you just gotta catch it. These 565ci IMO is the best engine lb for lb..

Tubular Cross member with a good 400 turbo tranny and you got you something that will get in the 9's without much of a diet...

I know some can't expense it all up front but it would be a great package to save for.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice

To un-popular belief more engines are hurt at the track running Gas for being too rich than lean..but lean does it as well.j
Could you explain that a little further please....by pm is fine if you don't want to get off subject too much.Too Lean I understand what happens.... What happens when it's fat in regards to the nitrous tune? Just trying to learn
Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
Ok I am gonna say this and then shut up. Lol...

If you wanna run 9.80s -9.90s on motor taking out guess work ( R@D) in your year camaro here it is.. This may sound like a lot of money up front but in the big picture its not....here it is.

A PAR built standard deck 565ci with 3x oval port heads..makes 1200 hp and 1000 TQ and will live forever with regular minimum maintenance. Scott Duggins takes in these 565's he has built for people trading up to larger Ci...I have seen him turn them back out fresh for $8,500..you just gotta catch it. These 565ci IMO is the best engine lb for lb..
Tubular Cross member with a good 400 turbo tranny and you got you

something that will get in the 9's without much of a diet...

I know some can't expense it all up front but it would be a great package to save for.
Damn $8500!!! That's cheap for that engine. I had between 10-11k in my 540 that I assembled myself from a jegs catalog basically and it didn't make nowhere close to 1200hp. I understand that's a reconditioned one but still beats building your own in your garage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -