Holley Annular Question...?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:34 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like you are real close, takes a little time but feels much better when you can make it better yourself. I don't have a definitive answer on a BBC intake, although have always found the Edelbrock intakes to be the best on my SBC's. You can try an open spacer to give the intake a common plenum. A dual plane makes the engine think you have a smaller carb, thus the increased throttle response at lower RPM's. You have to decide where you will spend the most time, anything over around 4000 will give way to a single plane as long as the carb is not too large and you are OK there. The positive of a single plane is that fuel distribution is much better, dual planes tend to have rich and lean sides. With no other knowledge if you decide to change my choice would probably be the Victor Jr. Smaller runners and plenum to keep the velocity up.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Got the picts of the carb, interesting about the IAB's missing in the front. Do you see any restrictions farther in the hole or in the intersecting passage? And can you measure the idle feed restrictions in the metering blocks? Did you get the carb new or used? An open bleed would need a lot of idle feed restriction and limit the time the transition circuit was active. You might get it to work, just might make tuning it a bit harder.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 PM
HamerDown
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
Got the picts of the carb, interesting about the IAB's missing in the front. Do you see any restrictions farther in the hole or in the intersecting passage? And can you measure the idle feed restrictions in the metering blocks? Did you get the carb new or used? An open bleed would need a lot of idle feed restriction and limit the time the transition circuit was active. You might get it to work, just might make tuning it a bit harder.
I can use a drill set to determine sizes, I 'think' the outboard ones have a reduced step down inside > but isn't that std for a brass insert to sit on?
"intersecting passage" I'll have to put it under my ole Science class microscope for that one. lol

I'll pull the carb again > it should have sippers vs bolts for as many times I've been in it LOL

Purchased the carb back in 98 from a friend that used it on his Hot Rod strip car > the inside was a mess until I went through it. It sat clean and bagged for a loooong time.
Dellorto DHLA 40's I know like the back of my hand, Hollies well, I know where the idle mixture screws are and know how to rebuild them.

Thanks again, Ray
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
HamerDown
APPRENTICE

More testing Friday, Saturday and Sunday > it's getting better and better :wink: